New Folding Tender Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ConcertinaBoats, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ConcertinaBoats

ConcertinaBoats Junior Member

Thanks for the links Portacruise. I looked at both the Origami and Portabote quite a lot when designing the Concertina. I think the Origami is very elegant but it was the fact that it seemed so complex and had so many pieces that led me to designing my own.
    I loved your first link; the emergency pop up boat. It makes the Concertina look very slow to erect by comparison.

I have wondered about whether the Concertina would be suitable for for use in floods. In flatish waters it would be stable enough but it can carry two smallish adults at most. As a way of someone going to get help if communication lines are down it would probably work well.

Thanks for all your feedback. Thanks for letting me know about the 'buy plans' button Marshmat.

2. ConcertinaBoats

I think the buy plans button is only broken on internet explorer. It seems to work on Firefox.

3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Hi, Jeremy.

My experience is with hurricanes which come with hot, humid weather, something like Kartrina at New Orleans. When there is an initial surge, only high ground in sturdy buildings or trees are of much use, drowning is a danger. Then, the huge rains start which flood hundreds of acres gradually, without much current of the water except to get deeper, but some heavy wind at times. The most vulnerable are individuals that are not fit to paddle several miles to help, food or water in an inefficient craft, -might drift them to greater danger with winds. Even boarding/unboarding a squarish craft containing some rainwater, with or without help at treacherous locations not designed for boarding is an issue. A more open, accessible, self bailing design where one doesn't have to step over and keep balance might be of more use. Of course, the fit are found rowing or sometimes motoring about, helping with rescues with larger craft, doing the best they can.

Porta

4. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Thankfully we don't get such turbulent weather, but then the latitude here in Southern England is just a bit North of you, around 51 deg N, so slightly further North than Winnipeg in North American terms!

I think the neat thing about the Concertina Boat is its scalability. It should be possible to pretty much double its size I'd have thought, which would significantly increase its load capacity.

5. ConcertinaBoats

Fixed now I believe. :)
    Thanks

6. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

cheap flood, survival boat?

Thought you might find this interesting:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkpoint-washington/2010/07/cuban_refugee_attempts_crossin.html

Ugly but remarkably effective....

Porta

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Very clever. Better than Portabote. I saw a dinghy from England about 15 years ago that worked in a similar way but not as well thought out. Keepup the good work.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.