New Dingy design . Want some inputs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mydauphin, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

This is a very typical barge: http://www.workboatsinternational.com/barge-svs861.html

Note the skegs on the left of the drawing. How deep you make them is probably limited by your operational water depth. You will find that a small amount of deadrise will help tracking.

Cheers,

Tim B.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

On a flat bottom boat like this that has enough power to plan, what would be a good angle for bow.

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Dingy is starting to look like stealth fighter

Added more facets to bow and stern to be more pointy. Bottom would be a little concave to hold water in and help it plane and give it some stability.

Attached Files:

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

mydauphin,
    You're thinking outside the box. Good. The word box could be a pun. I'd say keep the 6' wide w 3' wide bottom but lengthen the bottom. I don't think it would look good w rounded corners. I also thought of a boat w all flat planes ...a bit like that plane Black bird ??? If you could get your hands on some honeycomb super strong/stiff composite .... You've got flat surfaces and aluminum has very little stiffness. Paint it black and call it the Blackfish. Don't let these guys talk you back into the box.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Bottom is 7.3 feet . If I make it longer then angle of bow will be less. I don't know what is best angle. May have to build model to test. Boat will have aluminum frame with aluminum panels weld to it for stiffness. I believe it can be made light this way. Will look at carbon fiber for inside and reinforcements.

Actually looks a little more like a cross between Tacit Blue and a f117 stealth bomber.

Attached Files:

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I like your dinghy as in msg 30 but w skegs. One on each side but fore and aft location may be tricky. Don't care for # 33 or # 35. The boat will be pitch sensitive w such a short bottom. One could have more flare and a bit longer bottom. I think the talk about standing on the stern deck is nuts ...only an idiot would do that ...hmmmm There are idiots though. Your boat reminds me of Phill Bolger's stuff.

Easy Rider

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Once I pick a couple of designs I will probably make a couple of foam boats and test out some theories. Can't really make them longer but could make them a foot wider. What do you think? On standing on stern, if there is someone on bow and fuel tank in front,. Why not?

Your Bolger comment gave me a couple of ideas see below.

Attached Files:

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Sorry but it's getting worse and worse. I can't draw on the internet but I have an idea for your boat and I can describe it.

Like the original but with less flare say 35 to 40 degrees.
    The stern the same except 45 degrees.
    The bow way different. From the side the bow like a quarter of an ellipse. From the fwd end of the fwd deck down, close to vertical then curving aft as an ellipse. Terminate the ellipse a bit fwd of the place where the original bottom terminated. The trailing edge of the bottom should be sharp. Perhaps a quarter of an inch extension of the bottom piece of plywood or alum sheet/plate so the water can break clean with no tendency to run up the transom.

Can you draw that? Is this clear?

9. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Maybe you'd like to try something with a pram-bow.

Attached Files:

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Anyway to make it more symmetrical.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

dauphin,
    Didn't you like the ellipse? Are you allergic to curves? OK how a bout a simple radius. THat would lengthen the bottom fwd and increase pitch stability and give a bit more capacity.

Easy

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Actually having a hard time with curves in sketchup program

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Hey Ancient,
    Yes. Sorry I'm late to respond. That's what I had in mind. Perhaps a mix of a simple radius and an ellipse. That may be a bit difficult to build especially with lots of flare to the sides. Perhaps one could do some version of stitch and glue or for metal "tack and weld". But I'm convinced the elliptical bow on this dinghy would work as well as anything. I could see building for the Bay here a sled like daplin originally presented but with the full elliptical bow and a traditional stern. But how to build that elliptical/garvey bow is a concern.

Easy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.