new to boatbuilding and need help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wvwelder, May 9, 2010.

1. wvwelder

wvwelder New Member

i'm a welder in a fab shop and have repaired more than a few boats.now i've desided to build my own bass boat out of aluminum.were i work i have the tools to work with incluiding 2 waterjets to cutout pieces.i've allready drawn my boat up in cad form and started to build a 1/10th scale model but don,t know how to test the hull.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Welder; The one tenth scale model is too small for meaningful tank testing. Build the model for fun, bragging rights, and inspiration.

Follow conventional design practice for your bass boat. Do not design something far from the mainstream. Look at and possibly take some basic measurements of existing boats that you like. You can take some minor liberties but you will be well served to stay in the main stream of design.

I am definitely NOT suggesting that you do a direct copy of any existing boat. Do your own thing but do not stray far from conventional layout. If you do it that way, there is no need for testing and you can rest assured that your boat will float and probably catch bass.

Use the search function on this forum. You will find some threads that have addressed this exact aluminum boat building process.

3. wvwelder

wvwelder New Member

thank you messabout,the model is really for being able to see that the pieces i've drawn will fit together the way that there being cut on the waterjet

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.