new boat project- input

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wayne nicol, Oct 25, 2013.

1. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

thanks Tad. quite a process, i know.
    but required for good reason.
    the designer/s would have to abide by these regs for sure!!
    i just went through all of this, while registering my current boat for a c#, and the blue decal programme.
    thanks

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

What I was trying to say is that the rules will control every decision regarding this boat. Make it smaller (narrower) to fit under the 5 ton cutoff. Berthed passengers is probably not going to happen. Stability requirements must still be met while under sail with all passangers on one side of the boat. This won't happen with anything more than a handkerchief up, unless you go to 12' draft.

3. wayne nicol

absolutely!
    thanks Tad.

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I would say that all looks like a reasonable plan. what is the overall size you have in mind again? and what is your build budget to make this commercially viable?

I do not mean to be nosy about your business, but I am really interested to learn what kind of expenses, both operational and capital investment, and what kind of revenue you can expect planning a charter boat business. How much are customers willing to pay for a sailing experience typically?

5. wayne nicol

hi Petros
    planning a 30' LOD,
    overall length, i might not be sure of the length of the intended bowsprit- will leave that to the designers.
    build budget- hard to say without material lists etc- but would expect somewhere between 50k and 100k, motors and trailer, fully rigged- spread over a coupl-a years of course.

thanks for showing an interest in the project- will send you some info.

thanks
    wayne

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.