A new 85 cat concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tz3dcom, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I never said that! I said that one needs better understanding of procedure to design a boat. If stylist is not familiar with safety/operational requirements, he should seek cooperation with NAs, sailors, etc.

One simple question: where is steering station on Your boat?

2. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

Regard the procedure ,I think the exterior style more important than the GA in the concept stage .I already done a very simple GA before the exterior modeling.

The steering station located the cabin house near the frontdoor ,you can find it in main deck plan .just The drawing still in draft stage not finish yet.

Attached Files:

• 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      515 KB
      Views:
  3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

From my experience exterior is drawn over preliminary GA, not opposite. Just a sample: if You have requirement to fit 6 cabins with private bathroom each, You need to provide those and access to them from saloon or cockpit. So this condition will define the length of cabin.

Sorry to ask this: do You have sailing experience on cruising cats?

4. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

Alik,

I just took a seat in some cats one the boat show and yacht club ,

Do you have constructive comment about the steering station located ?

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

- I wonder how one can steer sailboat from inside (no feeling of wind, no proper view on sails);
    - Your steering station is just behind mast. Area +/- 15 degrees from CL should be clear of obstacles; good fwd/side visibility should be provided for +/-127.5 degrees;
    - Saloon is functional area of owner and guests; do You really want to have crew there permanently?
    - At dark time, when owners are using light in saloon how crew can look outside?
    - Visibility during docking (can be solved by docking station);
    - It is good practice that helmsman can see entire boat and control movement of people; once I was at helm of 72' cat and one guest felt overboard from stern...

Better do some boating on such cats, say charter a cat. Will have a lot of ideas on how they are used.

6. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

inside steering station maybe not a problem for sailing ,many cats already with inside steering station . of course outside steering station certainly more good visibility than inside but not so Comfortable during the bad day .
    For cover the shortage we can set the second steering station located foredeck . This is a hot issue still under discussion in forum .

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

You better get some sailing experience before writing this :cool:

Is steering station hot issue or not? Well, there are standards on visibility, one should know them is he is boat designer. Visibility is the issue effecting the layout, cabin shape, etc.

I have seen many such concepts in my life; they either end up with complete re-work by professionals or are becoming failed projects. I do not mean that You should not touch it; but You have to spend a lot of time to study design basics and standards.

8. Pedigreecats

Pedigreecats Junior Member

Larger cat concepts

Leo,
    We'll have your cat on our site shortly, working on it now, thanks. I am sure you'll recieve interest in your concept design. Clients today (the serious ones) want their own look and this is a great place to start attracting them to your ideas. Every multihull we have built over our short 36 years of composite building, they have all been as different as our clients. Also , this size cat is where the clients are that we like to work with, they have the $$$ to do what they want to get what they want. The multihull designers we use are proven and provide the platform needed in the size the clients want, but they don't always have the look everyone wants and don't want to spend the time. Same with the interior, usually just one idea of what a possible layout would be, but not several, its just something they don't do. Clients today, for at least the last 15 years, want a look and people that will work with them to get it.

1 person likes this.
  9. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

Hi Gary.Thank you for your work ,I am looking at your website . I will do more
    concept work in future then send to you review.

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hello Leo,
    I believe you have produced a really nice looking design concept...and that is not always easy with a multihull vessel. Of course the longer the vessel the easier this becomes. A lot of designs start out as just a rough sketch that subseqently gets refined into a reality. And not all of these initial sketches include all the details. You seem to have the capability to do these initial sketches via computer which I believe can be even more difficult to get fair lines.

There is another designer who is very accomplished with these technics over on this other forum, AMG. I'll add a link in a little while.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-renderings-plans/8308-lars-modin-design-iv.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-renderings-plans/2626-55-power-catamaran.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-renderings-plans/11855-first-attempt-yacht-design.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-designers-discussion/5277-worlds-best-designers.html

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-designers-discussion/10197-3d-rendering-engine-cad-combination.html

If you come up with more illustrations that you don't intend to post on the forum, I'd like to look at them.

As far as your prop placement goes, there are some advantages to placing them more forward on the vessel (less pitching out), and they can even be angled inward a bit to get less draft up at that location. With outdrive units like the chain and belt drives I've talked about in a number of forum postings, these drives can be remotely located from the engines and simply driven via a connecting CV shaft. Examples:
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/dynarig/Tennant_Hull_V_ChainDrive.php
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/dynarig/
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/power/
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/15453-post14.html

11. yipster

yipster designer

and so would i, whenever you have drawings you like to show here Leo, show them, retracktable saildrive and all that too

a questions to Alik and Leo: as i like Alik's work i've seen nice rough pencil sketches on his sites to many perfect renders
    do you make these drawings yourself Alik and expressed in time is that about a caffee for the napkin sketch to 50 hrs or more for the renders ?
    people sometimes dont understand the difference in work involved and meaning to ask this for a while to some insiders

12. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Napkin sketches - yes I make myself, sometimes during meeting with customer and those give first impression of boat. 3D modelling - we scan napkin sketch and trace it; 3D modeling is done by me and other three designers/nava larchitects. Renders (exterir and interior) - less and less time to do them myself; we have staff industrial and interior designers to do them.

For us, photorealistic rendering of exteriors (with spray, sunset, etc.) is not really top priority. Important for us is to have real 3D model that works - doors having space to open, framed windows can be installed, angles for demoulding, limitations for transportation, real headroom and engine room space, etc. In our practice, we make mock-up of hull shape and sketch interior by hand, and only after that we finalize exterior shapes. This is done and checked by our team at early stages of design.

Enclose some samples:

P.S. Maybe it is not good idea to have those in Leo's topic, can we move it?

Attached Files:

13. Alik

Alik Senior Member

As to quality of renderings, they can be different depending on software and manhours spent...

Attached Files:

14. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

15. tz3dcom

tz3dcom 3D

a questions to Alik and Leo: as i like Alik's work i've seen nice rough pencil sketches on his sites to many perfect renders
    do you make these drawings yourself Alik and expressed in time is that about a caffee for the napkin sketch to 50 hrs or more for the renders ?
    people sometimes dont understand the difference in work involved and meaning to ask this for a while to some insiders[/QUOTE]

Hello Yipster , yes ,I would show some other works here for you reveiw not long after, but not so perfect ,,,

My hand sketch still not good ,alway looks very rough ,because I do not often try the concept design , some time I also do that for my helper ,when them can not clear to understand the model detail to modeling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.