New 101 meter sloop rigged superyacht by Dubois

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by schakel, Apr 15, 2013.

1. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Yeah .. right

And she looks something like this
    http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/tenderlift/canting-keels-38146-288598.html
    But then 16 meters deep! Just speculation.. I don't know.
    The article says it will be a lifting keel from 4 to 16 meters. Specs are on the second page of the article in dutch. Up right corner says (transdlated):

Length over all: 331 ft
    Length waterline: 293 ft
    Draft: from 13 to 53 ft
    Displacement: 2205 short Usa tons
    Mast: 410 ft
    Sail area: 46923 square feet

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

In boom furling has been around for a while. The one I use is twenty years old and custom built in The Netherlands. A big heavy beast. As far as I know it was the first automatic inboom furler. The same engineer who designed it did the huge captive reel winch for that megas downwind sails designed the system. Rob van Benton

In general boats over 30 meters are unusable. Only for show....a display of wealth.

100meters is truly Pharaohic in scale.... too tall to pass the Panama canal, too big to fit into a harbour , too big to visit the shipyard.......and it wont sail for pleasure .

Imagine being on deck on a fine summer day when the mega boat is close reaching at 20 knots. What will the apparent wind feel like ? Seagull poop or a flying fish at 35 knots will knock you off your feet.

Will you fit the guests and owner out with crash helmets and velcro sailing pants so that you can stick them into the velcro covered cockpit ?

3. schakel

Will be saloon-deck sailing

Will be saloon-deck sailing I guess. Just like the new IMoca's and MOD 70's everything will be operated from behind a sheltered place. I like that: Fast and luxurious. I am more enthusiastic about this project then you are..
    There is a huge market for this and Holland is world leader in this segmant after Perrini Navi:
    http://www.perininavi.it/
    Maltese Falcon with only 88 meters 289 feet is a big succes.
    Spectecular new developed rigging was designed by Gerard Dijkstra.
    I have read his biography. Here is his site:
    http://www.gdnp.nl/

He restoured Endeavour as well.. That's the most famous yacht in the world isn't it?

Attached Files:

4. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Boy, handling such large sails will no doubt be a monstrous task for any crew.

1 person likes this.
  5. schakel

Not really

In the following video they show how gybing is done. With knowledge, hydraulic winches and cooperation it looks quite simple. But I must add to that: I must try that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnmNXwenpM4

Biggest I did was an 13 meter 41 feet van de Stadt designed Rebel. Nice yacht: sailed here a lot. Never ever something wrong. Guess skipper was quite good. We sailed to France (Morbihan) Belgium (all the harbours on the coast) England: Ramsgate and Thames, Denmark: Fredrikshaven. For some reason we always had good weather.

I did that later with a Marieholm 26 and we ended up with force 7 in the German Bight. 5 meters of waves from all sides and containerships passing by at 30 knots. Fog and a crew that got too scared to reef. So I had to do everything. Only navigation was in hands of a just baby laboured female surgeon. And she was sick. Without any damage we arrived in Fredriks haven with a crew that was relieved everything went right.

Back to the subject: superyachts with sloop rigging: here is another latest example of the version of Luca Brenta http://www.lucabrenta.com/ (home designer Wally http://www.wally.com/ ) in cooperation with Botin from Botin and Carkeek http://www.botinpartners.com/ http://www.carkeekdesignpartners.com/portfolio/ The project is being descibed in Yachting World page 98 99 100. I add two scans of the pages as attachment.

Attached Files:

6. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Great story schakel, and I'm glad you were able to tough it out. I am personally attracted to big seas for some reason. Not always, but I do enjoy sailing and riding big waves. It's a form of surfing. The best place to be is on deck at the helm or stern of the boat...best view point. Watching a huge roller coming in is quite fun. Just as it passes under the hull you feel a big force against the rudder. Just then I cut into the wave, then release again to remain on course in the rough seas. After a while the rudder seems to become an extension of your fingers...you an feel the forces from those big waves sneaking in. Never let them get the best of you...game of cat & mouse.

7. schakel

Never let them get the best of you?

On the beach I am a windsurfer so I know surfing in the rollers. It always gives a very liberating feeling. I do not go to the heavy seas in the middle of the ocean for that. But I can imagine somebody else is atracted to that. My wife is not so good at sea. She is just not accustomed to sea-sailing so I never did that with her. My son is a kiter... nice. Until recently kiters were the fastest in world sailing records. http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/nautical-mile-records.html
    Until hydroptere and Vesta's sailrocket. here you see the record run at 55.32 knots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZVIj5TUSKE

But monohulls, where this superyacht belongs, have world records as well.
    Transatlantic.
    Fastest crossing by a 2-mast schooner.
    Simon Dierdorp NED and a crew of 28
    Windrose of Amsterdam
    May 2002.
    11d 10h 25m 10s
    2925 nm

I hope for the new owner this 101 meter yacht of Dubois will be somewhere in that list.

@ Joseph ====> with what kind of ship did you do that surfing in the big seas?

Attached Files:

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Zipping along in kite boats does sound fun. My big water sailing is with the Clipper yachts. They are robust boats that will do several circumnavigations before they retire from the race fleet. You will find some good video on the Clipperrtw YouTube channel. Below is their web site.

http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/

9. schakel

I followed that race on internet! Really... Sailing Anarchy forum was negative about the race. They called it a charter rally. I 've seen the effort you have to do to get on board. The yachts they use are from Dubois as well. And they look good and nice. Do they Broach? I guess not. But; .. I am told. Under some circumstances any boat broaches. And that is not so funny. In the film "the perfect storm" a big trawler is thrown backward by a wave like that. It was fictional but I guess it comes somewhat close to the reality. On you tube there are a lot of videos of freakwaves that are real.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....2.2.0.40.270.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.ChqMi2xTL5Y

Attached Files:

10. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

The various Clipper fleets over the years have been designed by different nautical architects. All of them are credible and can say first hand the old & new yachts sail just fine in big water. As smaller yachts are toughing it out in the swells we just cruise right along (and right past them).

As to being referred to as charter rally's by folks in Sailing Anarchy, what they don't know won't hurt them I suppose. Many Clipper racers go on to sail their own yachts or join up in more competitive races (e.g. Volvo, Vendee). For me personally, I'm out to get the maximum amount of sailing experience in a short period of time so I can charter my own yachts while on vacation. I'll be doing Leg 3 of the Southern Ocean in this year's race. The new yachts this year are quite a bit faster than last year's 68 footers.

As to broaching...this was not an issue. Being on a big, well designed rock solid boat designed for multiple circumavigations really makes a difference.

After the Clipper race, I'll be finishing up a couple of my sailing certifications (bareboat charter, celestial nav) and then I'll be set. I used to fly and many of the things I've learned for sailing (navigation, weather, aero principles) all transfers over nicely.

11. schakel

I recently recieved the application form for the Clipper round the world.
    I am still considering. Something else.. you can hike along with this french guys on their attempt for trans atlantic record. http://www.hydroptere.com/

This is the record to beat:
    Leg: Transatlantic W to E, Ambrose Light – Lizard Point 2880 Aug 2009
    Boat: Banque Populaire 5
    Skipper: Pascal Bidegorry FRA
    Time: 3d 15h 25m 48s

It will be awesome and dangerous. It won't be the first time they flipped.

Attached Files:

12. schakel

Correction on last post:
    Hydroptere is flown into Los Angeles, sailed to San Francisco
    And is waiting there for pacific record LA to Honolulu.
    Time to beat:
    Transpacific, Los Angeles – Honolulu
    Date Nov-05
    Boat Geronimo Tri 27 mtr
    Skipper Olivier de Kersauson FRA
    Record 4d 19h 31m 37s 19.17

But to get back to subject: These are the latest spec given by Dubois:

Overview
    Dubois’ largest project so far, design 380, is destined not only to be the world’s largest sloop-rigged sailing yacht, but also one of the most spectacular and technologically advanced vessels ever built.

Although 101 metres long and displacing some 2,000 tonnes, this new yacht will draw just four metres with her slender, narrow-chord Duplex steel centreboard retracted, and nearly 16 metres with the foil down. She will be built from aluminium after design calculations showed that even including the necessary ballast, the alloy yacht will be some 400 tonnes lighter than had she been built from steel. The yacht’s single, carbon fibre mast will tower 125 metres above the waterline. Even the length of her mainsail boom is difficult to comprehend. At 42 metres, it will be longer in itself than many superyachts.

To give a measure of comparison, the Statue of Liberty’s torch, held aloft, reaches 93 metres above the sea, while the famous tower of Big Ben, at London’s Houses of Parliament, stands 96.3 metres off the ground. The size of this creation is made possible by carbon fibre spars and rigging, and innovative sail-handling solutions, created by the Dubois office.

This astounding sailing machine, with interior design by Josep Juanpere Miret of GCA Arquitectes Associats, will have four guest suites, each with a floor area of 36 square metres, two of them with double beds and two with convertible twin-berth arrangements. An enormous owner’s stateroom spans the hull’s full beam, some 15 metres across, with separate his-and-hers bathrooms and dressing rooms, and a large, shared shower compartment. In the bow there is accommodation for 22 crew, in 18 en suite cabins.

Construction is scheduled to begin in mid-2013.

She will be awesome.

13. nuttyrave

nuttyrave New Member

14. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

They are beautiful boats even if some do not like them.

Sometimes beauty follows function, sometimes it doesn't.

wayne

15. schakel

She was never build!
    According to Dubois website no 100 meter sloop rigged yacht are released.
    And even the design is not available on yachtworld.
    Another myth busted.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.