Need Real Life, In Person Help (will compensate experts $$)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CatBuilder, Nov 18, 2010.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Like someone said earlier.. vacuum bag a couple of bulkheads for starters and the do the next one by hand.. then ya know :cool:

2. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Last time you had no bulkheads in, so the half hulls were floppy.
    Agree that its 6 of one and half a dozen of another, as you are working on your own the half hulls on their sides out weigh the need for additional handling.
    1. It is much easier to laminate on a horizontal surface than vertical, don't underestimate this.
    2. with half hull approach you will not have to walk on the bare foam to do any laminating.
    3. much easier to handle short wide planks than long thin ones, they also produce a fairer surface.

These three differences may sound like nothing much to team builders but building on your own they are significant.

Attached photo shows my first half hull stored on the left, second half suspended directly over the third ready to be lowered and joined.
    I used 4 chain blocks to lift and rotate the hulls.

Attached Files:

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I think the limiting factor is that I'm building in a tent. There are no overhead lifts or structure to attach to.

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Catbuilder,

No one has really addressed your core request--you want to sit down with a naval architect for a few hours and go over the plans, ask questions, and get going with a procedure to build the boat. If you would like to come to St. Augustine, send me a PM to discuss rates, time, and details.

Eric

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Cat, Go for Eric. You will stand on very very solid ground. He is a frequent contributer to PB magazine.

Rx

6. CatBuilder

I sent Eric a PM and will make arrangements for a short meeting with him to discuss the build plan.

Thanks, everyone!

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I haven't followed this too close, but I'm thinking the plan is to have 1 male mold that 4 halves are made from and those are joined for 2 catamaran hulls.? If that's the case, won't you have to not only turn halves over, but also turn 2 halves end for end somewhere in the process?

8. CatBuilder

No, you aren't picturing it correctly.

This is one male mold making one FULL hull (without deck). Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... from that you roll the hull over (and into place lined up for the bridgedeck). Next, you glass the inside and put in your bulkheads.

Can't think of an easier way to do this in a tent without many guys.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.