Need Input / Advice for Owners with Copper in their Keel for Older SSB Radios

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SuenosAzules, Feb 20, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Should be easy to secure a good used SSB. Stay in contact with a marine electronics guy . When a yacht is refit the first thing they remove to make room for goodies like chart plotters and Iphones is the SSB. Yachts dont carry SSBs anymore, It satellite. Not much radio content left on the airwaves. Be sure you get the radio plus antenna tuner.

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Michael is right. Maybe you should buy 2 of them. At least you can talk to yourself, as not too many people will have them at sea in the future soon. Bert

3. michael pierzga

Worthwhile installing a good radio if the price is right. Ship to ship is poplular and Cruising nets

I never broadcast anymore...only use the Radio equipment for entertainment at sea. BBC stuff. Im the kind of guy who has the shortwave on 24 7 and can alert you that... BREAK ...an airplane has crashed into the world trade center.... more to follow.....
    Even BBC is going quite these days and its frequencies are CHINA INTERNATIONAL. Dont know if there are any American broadcasts left ...except the Praise the lord stuff. The world is changing.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well it's sort of like, do you throw away paper charts and basic nav. tools. Most wise old blue water boys have and use both with the new fan dangled electronic gear as backup. If the "Praise The Lord" guy :D and Mom and Pop nature buys me time and health to complete my build and venture into blue waters i will also be so equipped plus HAM gear. Old school yes but the key word is Old. :)

5. michael pierzga

I expect soon real paper charts will be gone. Replaced by CHART BOOKS and digital stuff.

I read somewhere that the Admiralty wishes to get out of paper charts and become only a supplier of cartography to the producers of charts.

How US charts work will be interesting.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Possibly so Michael but can't see them going completely out of style, like vinyl records there'll always be die hards. Nothing like sitting in the cockpit on a nice day following a layed out course on a chart. Digital just doesn't do it for me -- no ability to make little interesting notes---

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

But what if there is a conflict with large amount of EMF, The GPS, satellites and all the new technology goes bye bye. At least I will be able to talk to some old guys like me.
    Got to ask Jeff if he has some end of world contingency plans for board...lol

8. michael pierzga

Its the network of chart agents and skilled chart correctors that is the problem. Budgets are tight and Not much money in selling the charts
    Obviosly third parties will produce charts. You see it for years in the US .But the US is different. Naoa is public and the cartography has no copyright. Im not sure about Defense Mapping. British admirtity are copyright protected. Only the British<Americas and Russian produce worldwide chart portfolios.

I often wonder for how long the US will be able to give charts away for free ? letalone free worldwide satelite navigation

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I never understood the free-GPS from day one. One would expect we should not be getting a free ride on the coat of the U.S. taxpayer. Personally i'd have no problem with paying a useage fee. Possibly it is not a free ride, could be the manufacturers of the GPS receivers have to pay a copyright fee per unit, or the gov. has calculated the tax revenue generated is worth using the device as a generator of employment and sales.
    Wonder what the progress is on the OP's project ?? Always nice when a thread is followed thru to it's final ending. Completes the story so to say and there is all those tid bits of info to feed on. SuenosAzules how goes the battle ??---Geo

10. michael pierzga

Its the responsibilty of the thread author to guide the thread thru . But as with most things on the internet. Who knows what happened ? Who cares ?

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The OP didn't respond to any of the 39 posts, so I guess we have been talking to the cat's *** (a Dutch expression) and can safely continue hijacking.

Not many things are free in this world, but the GPS system is, at least as long as the satellites keep working.
    Because the system is purely passive and the US military think they need it, I don't see any reason why somebody should pay for receiving signals and calculating a position. We do not cause any wear of power loss to the satellites and occasionally have to accept that the US gags their satellites in a particular area for strategic reasons.

How it will be with the European system that is being launched, has yet to be seen. If they scramble the signals to make some money from licensed decoder chips, we better stick to the current system.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well I for one would like to thank UNCLE SAM as the uses for this technology have certainly helped and advanced the world in just about every aspect from saving lives to where to drive that corner post for the fence. Amazing system that seems to never run out off ways to simplify some other project. Possibly the European system will incorporate some new bells and whistles -regardless it will be good to have a backup system. I can see it now more gear for the boat --two GPS receivers.

Off to the shop- preping the land yacht for another big trip--

13. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

viking north, thank's for acknowledging the American taxpayer. Much of the world, including too many Americans, take for granted and expect more and more from productive people.
    The Euro and GLONASS networks will, hopefully, be good backups and-or alternatives.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Milehog One should never have a problem in giving credit where credit is due and most important not hesitate to do so. We as citizens of the nations of the world must push our governments to co-operate more in such projects that benifit all and not shy away from alleviating the cost burden on the backs of a few. I understand that this system was not designed and built for the benifit of the general world public but thru the generiousity of the U.S. government and military it has worked out to be the case. And once again Thank You Uncle Sam for saving my *** one dark foggy night when a mistake in dead reconing, corrected by a GPS confirmation, resulted in a quick detour around a very hard and unforgiving rock--OOps-- :)

15. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Back to Ham Radio... If I ground (whatever you call it) my SSB to my aluminum hull, is there a danger of my radio let out some stray currents via my ground? My hull is isolated and is not bonded in anyway.