Need help with cruise ship mathematical formulas

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cmc, Dec 7, 2003.

1. cmc

cmc New Member

Hey I am a student working on a math project regarding cruise ships. I need help finding formulas to use. There is nothing in particular that I am trying to find, I just need something that I can do. This project is a very big deal and I need alot of help because I know very little about cruise ships or boats in general. I am using 50 different cruise ships and finding data for each one, such as the tonnage, cost to build the ship, the length, space ratio, etc. Now I don't know what to do with this data. Please help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    PLEASE HELP!!! :D :!:

~*UNKNOWN IB PRECAL STUDENT*~

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Some comparisons can be done that are general. For example, cost of tonnage built. Others could be passenger capacity to tonnage or building cost.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you for your reply. do you know of any equations that can be used to determine the tonnage? I was thinking maybe to find the tonnage of each ship using a formula, then comparing the tonnage of each ship in a statistical format. I also plan to compare various others things that you mentioned, such as passenger capacity, and somehow determine which ship is most effective. Any suggestions?? Does it sound good and how might I determine which ship is the most effective? any help would be great, thanks.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Tonnage

The (convention) tonnage is the internal space of the vessel adjusted by a standard formula:

GT = V * (0.2 + log V)

where V is the internal volume.

You can get close to the volume by 67% of the hull LBD plus the volumes of the deckhouse approximated as boxes.

Manhours to build, etc. is available in sources such as the Journal of Ship Production.

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I'd suggest going to www.sname.org and finding the SNAME section in your area. Attend a section meeting and chat them up about IMO and SOLAS regulations as they apply to cruise ships.

You can search 46 CFR online.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.