A Naval Architects Intellectual Property or Common Knowledge

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by michael pierzga, Oct 18, 2011.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Several times Ive been asked to post technical drawings or to clarify a point I have posted technical drawings.

The Knowledge on the drawing is obviously the Intellectual property of the Naval Architect.

When do you cross the line and abuse the Architects property rights ?

When is a technical drawing simply common knowledge ?

Specifically, a question was asked concerning thrust and the bottom rudder bearing detailing on a skeg hung rudder. Is the detailing I posted infringing on the naval architect rights ? or is this detail simply common knowledge ?

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/po...er-construction-details-40117.html#post495040

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

IMO, posting detailed drawings of anothers work is crossing the line since it can be duplicated from those drawings. If a picture were taken of any device from the perspective seen by the public passing by that would be common knowledge.

Most all the construction pics I have studied have been taken where the photographer seems to have taken care to ensure that few items were in the picture to provide any scale. I think builders and designers cooperate in such matters as the demensions are not easily ascertained.

Disclosure of trade secrets or copyrights really needs to be done to the extent that the subject matter may be duplicated causing financial deprivation and a basis for indemnification to the designer or party holding such rights. IMO

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm hard-pressed to think of a case where a detailed fabrication drawing would be considered "common knowledge". If such a drawing exists, it's because that particular situation called for engineering work above and beyond the "common knowledge" of fabricators in that field.

The copyright to the drawings and all designs detailed on them belongs to the NA or engineering firm that made them.

Regarding the specific case mentioned in post #1. The idea of using two slightly domed surfaces to handle axial loads, and a cylindrical bushing for radial/lateral loads, is a common approach and, AFAIK, not protected by most IP laws (the concept is centuries old). And as Wavewacker says, photographs of the construction process and the finished product are generally OK. The specific construction details indicated on those drawings, though, are the IP of the designer and should not be distributed without the designer's consent.

4. SugarSmacks

SugarSmacks New Member

Hi I am new to this whole boating thing but I heard a term the other day and I was wondering what it was, Whale Rubber. I am sure it is spelled correctly and I have tried to search it but I have not found anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Also, sorry for posting this here I wasn't sure where to post it and it seemed like I would get the best answer from you guys.

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Posting detailed drawings are breach of copyright, so are posting photos that don't belong to you.

This forum could be in breach of copyright by allowing them to be displayed.

Poida

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

So I took it down.

I also agree that it is unethical to post an engineers knowledge .

Its always a difficult question.

How to share with other enthusiasts and not compromise my relationship with shipyards and designers.

7. Frog4

Frog4 Proletariat

Ecclesiastes 1:9
    What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.