names or types of work skiffs ? (panga, downeast, chesapeake, seine, etc.)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lobsterman, Mar 26, 2015.

1. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

I am trying to compile a list of all the different types of small boat designs, styles, or skiff types (roughly in the 12' - 25' range), that are, or have been used as work boats or commercial fishing skiffs.
    Such as by style, type, or region ... panga, chesapeake, downeast, seine, batau's etc., or even any specific builders such as Carlson Tolman, Bolger, Harris, etc.
    Do you have any favorites ?. (pics of the boat styles may help).

Any styles, types, or designs that you could add to the list would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Lafitte Skiff

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

New Haven Sharpies, Chesapeake flatties, Chesapeake skip jacks, Banks dories, Rangeleys, Whitehalls, .....and Whew! there are a lot more of those types including old time scows, barges, punts, garveys......... on and on.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you making a compilation of types from all the world or only the US?

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

I am interested in any and all skiff or small boat designs that may have been used for commercial purposes (which seems to be a good verification of form, function, and durability ).
    Obviously some designs at first may seem to be very similar with only slight differences, even though they were developed in vastly distant and different areas of the world, but there are certainly individual aspects of their form that has been steadily built upon over the years for their proven record of abilities and functionality.
    I am eventually trying to figure out (and build) a multi-use, rugged work skiff design that pulls in all the best qualities, abilities, and functions, while at the same time eliminating aspects that may detract from form, use, or function.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Lobsterman there are countless types and varieties of working skiffs. Over the long haul they were developed to fulfill the requirements of a particular job and to be appropriate for a particular area and its' conditions. A good boat In Maine may not be so good in Florida and visa versa.

I doubt the wisdom of making some sort of boat that is a composite of a lot of different types. You boat should suit the needs of your area, your job, and your particular preferences. If you have vast experience as a sea dog then your preferences will have some merit. If you are not an old hand with boats then your preferences will have less merit.

A Whitehall was definitely a working boat that was developed to a state of excellence for the job that they did. Meanwhile Chesapeake sharpies were developed to be very appropriate for the job and the circumstances for which they were used. The Whitehall and the Sharpie are vastly different boats. Both very good at their intended purpose but ne'er the twain shall meet. Actually a Coracle was pretty good at their intended purpose and circumstances in which they lived.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

9. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Lobsterman - with no disrespect - I am sure you can understand that as your post currently stands using the word 'etc.', it could be read to read 'Guess a skiff without knowing which ones I know'.

Why not add your current list here in terms of boat and area with links to websites that make them, and people can add to that list if they wish in subsequent posts with name area and link. Maybe someone will be kind enough to do a composite lists with the new additions every ten or so additional posts.

It would be a nice resource for those of us who like seeing different sorts of boats out there. ( I presume this is also what you had in mind.) I think it is a nice idea and will be a nice resource.

10. lobsterman

lobsterman Junior Member

Thanks guys, (Pericles gets it, and i'll try to get that book DCockey, thanks).
    I thought it was a pretty simple question that anyone could have easily added some useful content or suggestions to the thread, even if some have chosen to muddy the waters, criticize, make blind assumptions, second guess, or to answer a question with more questions.
    I am on a borrowed computer at the moment with limited time, i'll try to check back in a bit later tonight, and expand on a couple of things that i was trying to use the resources of this thread thread for. Thanks.

11. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

In the absence of a clear definition of a "skiff" this could go on longer than "Days Of Our Lives".

13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I'd reckon that a "skiff" might be an adaptable term, kind of like "launch".

Aluminium plank "Oyster Punts" seem to be a popular choice of small workboat here, devolved from timber timber punts & work scows used in past that were much kinder to the worker & quieter. The Alu punts are pretty tough though & might last 5-15 years depending on service, I'll often see a pair strapped up to a pile rig for close maneovering, strapped up square off & at 90 degrees from each other very effective..

Jeff

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It might be more adaptable than launch, Jeff, I haven't heard of a sailing launch, but there are certainly sailing skiffs. Some skiffs putter around slowly as dsplacement hulls, others blast around as high-speed planing hulls. I think it should be restricted to day boats that are more or less open to the elements, certainly with no overnight accomodations. And more likely steered by a tiller, or tiller outboard.

15. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Well in case I "muddy the waters, criticize, make blind assumptions, second guess, or to answer a question with more questions" - I am out of this thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.