My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

thats CRAP.

And be sure, the larger boats shown in the former pictures are the same quality!

No, we have to do that better.

Again, find out the timber and resin supplies. As mentioned several times now.

Regards
    Richard

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I did mate and i indicated the price and posted them ....
    I mentioned the epoxy as well .....

I can not get the wood alone (i did get some quotes that i posted the cost) .... and the yards will only quote me for the whole job.
    In regards to prices being idiotic, that's the unfortunate fact that i have to deal with (as indicated by the car price example.)

In regards to quality ... that's the best i can access atm ....
    I will look for other yards but i doubt i will find any thing substantially better... So the next step would be understanding more in order to differentiate between crap and acceptable and then enforce my standards on the yard not vice versa.

I attached the wood they are using for the ribs.

Attached Files:

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Must have overseen parts of that. I´ll have a look tonight.

Regards
    Richard

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Right just a quick update on things..... In one week time im going to go have a look and hopefully things will look good prior to fiber glassing....
    Glen-L have some nice guides on fiber glassing which im gona get to help me get an idea on how to do it properly (zero experience for me).

In Egypt quality standards is unfortunately way below standard (something i know from the printing business and living in Egypt)its a good place to live but you have to be involved personally to insure that you get a good product at the end.
    Which is why i am going through every thing related to boat construction from wood, building methods and materials used. Its no easy task but i am enjoying it.

Apex you have to keep in mind i am half way across the world, things here are not like the states. The simplest things require a lot of effort to get it done properly and you have to pay a LOT ...

So in order to get a boat build with the standard close to acceptable or good i will have to be there at the yard make sure they use good wood, ensure they handle it properly and make sure that the building process, sanding etc.. is sound. This means a lot of reading and understanding from my side.

The Shoteyaa boat my father in law is building is a learning experience for me. No matter how it turns out its helping me a lot.
    Hopefully when i get my boat started (soonish i hope) i will have enough knowledge to get it build with good over all sea worthiness.

Thanks for every one's feedback and support!
    I am patient and im gone get it done properly ..... :)

Oh and for those who check this thread (well there must be folks out there thinking im nuts..) here is some pictures of fishing boats in Alexandria :)

Attached Files:

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he.... surprise surprise. Richard is just around the corner from you.

Don't kid yourself. We don't THINK so, we know so. Why do you think we're on this forum, lunies the whole lot of us :rolleyes:

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

???? rofl .... :p where is he ???

I'm right at home then !!! :D :D

I'm going fishing in the next couple of days ... ill make sure i take some nice pics :p hope i catch some fish ...

My fishing skills are close to that of a 5 year old trying to fix a VCR with a sledge hammer .....

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Look in the right hand top corner of any of his posts.

I'm not sure you can 'skill' yourself in the act of fishing, but the longer you fish the luckier you get ;)

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

He is still quarter way across the world !!!

Well .... i fall into the "noob" category of fishing ... i have lost baits, weights and managed to do almost all the mistakes a fisherman can do ....
    I keep telling myself im new to fishing (keeps me going !!)

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He's just around the corner of the continent from you. Drop him a pm when the boat's ready, I bet he'll drop by during a boat test.

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

I went through the former postings and found just this:

The price of Epoxy is still not mentioned here (the local stuff will be sufficient, I´m sure), but we need to have a clue where we will end up!

Are you sure you did not mix up the prices for Pine and Mahogany? The "white wood" as you name it looks very much like a sort of Pine.

The local wood you have shown in the last pictures seems to be Walnut...!?
    If so, we can use that for frames.

The framing has to be MUCH more substantial than on the boats we have seen in the pictures.

I guess I must not ask for Marine Ply again...that will be sold at NASA prices.

What I have in mind is just a double planked (overlapped, Ep glued), sort of classical woody.
    The local builders are familiar with all the procedure except for the resin. But thats not a science to tell them how it goes.
    The outside sheathed with a layer of mat and fabric and there we are. (minor flaws will be covered in paint, as usual);)
    Inside just one layer of neat resin and lot of paint (then paint again).......
    and repaint every year...

Fanie was right. I am building in Turkey, that is "next door".
    But be happy, you live in country of old culture (and too old economy). If you want to see the third world go to Turkey (especially in terms of culture and business)........

And I am a German btw. not American. But I was not hurt to be mistaken (to some extend).:D

Now, fu(k fishing and do your homework! Then I do mine. Many questions have NOT been answered.
    And you know..? Business is 90% information, 15% relation, and 55% sheer luck, the entire rest is sweat....................
    ...of others.

Regards
    Richard

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

This may seem like a simple suggestion, but how about making the parts from fiberglass ?

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

That's like asking what brand of cars are there ..... each yard uses something completely alien to me .... aside from sending them to a lab to analyze them its easier to get an imported brand ...

Nope i'm sure .... I'm visiting another yard to get more detailed prices and pictures of wood so i rule out any mix up from my end ... (hey no one's perfect besides i cant be a genius in everything!! Ask me about printing and watch me go ...)

Meh its getting very confusing as im having to juggle english term, latin terms, arabic terms, traditional terms and fit pictures in that mess....

Your the expert ...

Well now im starting to get some where .... terms like CRAP, POOP does not help me get an idea of what i should do (it is however amusing to see you bash me like that .... one day i will have my revenge :D :D :D :D )

Dont think it even exists in Egypt ... if it does im better off finding drugs then getting my hands on it ....

That is great !!! Ill need to re-read that part couple of times .... make some comments get more bashing from you and im good to go ...

Turkey with all its faults are much better in just about everything .... except they are really hard to work with ...

My bad (Ish Kom Ous Egyptian) if you understand that then ur a genius ... been to Germany at least 5 times loved it ! (Specially Heidelberg)
    Well that explains a lot .... i know understand you a lot better (i think)

I'm starting from scratch ..... getting bombarded by language, culture, posts, reading, trips etc.... cut me some slack will you !! :D wait till you ask me about printing ....
    But yah i though i covered your questions .... so executive summary is in order every couple of pages of posting to get my bearings in order ....

That said you are a star my good man .... and thanks for all your help and patience (and bashing :D :D :D ) on the bright side ... i'm learning quite a lot .... and thats saying a lot ...

That being said, this post deserves a para sailing wazzaa picture .... :D

Attached Files:

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Did you mean "Ich komme aus Ägypten"?
    هل تقصد"Ich komme aus Ägypten"?

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

He did Hoyt.;)

Nope,

before we have told them to make the plug, the budget is gone.
    After they know how to make the plug, they will screw it up in ten minutes (by further developing it)
    When we come to the stage where a mould could appear, we have already consumed the money of a Dutch newbuilt.
    But then we would have the improvements....

....and so on.

Building cheap is a brilliant idea,
    before you tried it....
    Building with low wages is a brilliant idea,
    ..ahh. you figure.

It is not a accident of our economy that countries like Germany and the Benelux are still the most competitive in the entire world.
    Wages of 60€ per hr. for a real expert are peanuts, when the result is accordingly.
    One $ per day is too much when not.

If it was easy, we would not need to discuss it here.

Regards
    richard

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have made some parts from fiberglass (polyester resin which Richard doesn't like) very successfully, and to my knowledge still works in the boat I used it.

All you need is a former for each part. The former can be of poor quality and needs to keep it's integrity only for a short time, basically only till the last part was formed on it.

The advantage of course is polyester resin is a lot less expensive, you can make each part as strong as you want and it should last right short of forever. Wood rot, which is something I'm allergic for.

I'm not going to try and glass parts together in the future since delamination can be a problem, I'll glue them together instead, of course with a suitable surface for that. I tested one of Dow Cornings adhesives, looks a lot like sikaflex but less expensive, and I'm very impressed the way it bonds fiberglass pieces together.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.