My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thanks a lot!! This is a pretty complex project, the building phase (quality etc..) is a major issue, which is why having the design on freeship will give me a little ease of mind (specially if i can understand more about the interaction of the hull shape). It will give me some comfort to know that at least the hull design is good and i can then focus on the construction!

So ill give it a try (i do have a lot of pictures from the side and bow that should help!) and post the pictures hopefully it will get me some where!!

Now i need to learn the ship terms in English!
    Keel is called القرينة - spelled El Areenah (im compiling my little dictionary now since im having to interact in forums in English and the yard in Arabic!!)

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks Terry,

good idea!

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Vulkyn, you mentioned the boat tends to role in medium waves. If the draft is very shallow and the boat sits on top of the water then it is to be expected. It doesn't sound like it's a real problem though ? 2m300 is not the widest of boats but it's not that narrow either. You could of cours widen it some ie 3m which would make some difference.

I didn't know the arabs fished, I thought all they do is ride on camels in the desert :D

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Can i get some data out of freeship if i make 2 models 2.3 Meters and 3 meters and make a comparison?
    I understand ride comfort is a different issue than ship stability, what my goal is i want to invest in the boat only if its a good hull configuration ! :)

We invented fishing some 7000 years ago and have been doing it ever since :D !!! We do however ride camels, that's me on a camel in Sinai. Notice the hands free approach and the cross legged posture that's professional riding sir !!

There you go ! now to find my fishing pics :p

Attached Files:

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

1 person likes this.
  6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

There's a list of boating terms at http://www.sailinglinks.com/glossary.htm

1 person likes this.
  8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

great links folks !!! Many many thanks !! im currently traveling i will start working on it as soon as i get back :)

Cheers !

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... Like the nike shoes :D Are they for in case the camel breaks down ?

And the vanity case, beer or makeup :D

That horn on the back of the saddle in front of you have me worried.
    If you hit a hump in the road... YIKES !!! :eek:

If you get round to it, it would be really nice to see what fish you have there !

If you're on your way to the soccer here you better hurry up. It's over in a few weeks :rolleyes:

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Concerning Terrys idea, i attached a bow picture that should give me enough data to do the drawing .....
    Im going to take a lot more pics next time im in the yard .....

Apex the links are awesome its starting to make sense .... freeship was an enigma mystery for me !!

Kayaker, thx for the laser idea!! its my ticket to draw the pic !!!

--------------

Nike shoes are for getting on the camel ... the extra jump and sprint are very important to get on that huge beast !

No bear or make up ... sun screen mostly ... im too white hence i get sunburned too easily ... (not very Egyptian of me but meh ... thats what you get when you work at a factory and spend little time in the sun!)

No im in Alexandria up north at the Mediterranean sea ... its 45 degree in cairo and i needed a nice sea breeze .....

The horns are high, unless you think of standing up and dancing on the camel ur ok :p and there aint no road bumps the camel cant handle !!! ur sitting some 2 meters above the ground !!! Ur in the ultimate desert 4x4 machine .. :p

Sure ill try to find some link for you in English i only know the fish in arabic names !! (Nile, Red sea or Mediterranean ?? they all have completely different fish types !!)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Tonight here is -1oC and tomorrow a scorching 10oC. We can swap weather any time...

Just spend some time on it and you'll get the hang of it. In a day or so you'll say 'oh yes, but of course !' ;)

Show them all !! Off late, the more I have to do with people the more I like fish :D Be very interesting to see. Who knows, I may come fish with you... :eek:

BTW, Richard and Ancient are some of the best guys with boats. I just comment here to get their replies. Follow your boats development with interest.

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Found a PDF file for Red sea fish types ..... :) its 62 MB though :S

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

This could be one way to start the whole drama, I guess.

It is almost the desired shape and already in the sample section of Freeship plus.
    Though will have to be scaled of course.

Attached Files:

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Did i say your my hero Richard ?? No then ... ur my hero man !!! THX A LOT this will save me a ton of work !!!!

Odd thing i went through the ships hulls but couldn't find this shape ....
    Cheers mate !!!

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I'm glad you have faith in me !!! And yes it will be the start of the drama all thanks to you ! :D :D

I do want an opinion regarding the hull design though, i do not want to invest time and energy in a poor hull design (disregarding the construction issues atm).
    Dimensions:
    6.8 Meters length
    5.5 water line lenth (i know still learning the terms!)
    2.3 Beam

So i just need a heads up from the experts patting me on the back and telling me its not a stupid hull design. Is there a post or link that would explain the basic difference for standard hull configurations? It would be very helpful to learn the basics (for example what hull maximizes speed, or which hull gives a more comfortable ride).

I know that depends on a lot of variables but im just looking for the basics :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.