My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

OK ... seems they guys at west wood got mixed up the terms or something, they use temporary shaped MDF frames and the cedar planks are placed and glued no nails or frame is used.

I have the brochure (printed in ink jet though) ill try to scan and post a few pics. (After reading it seems strip planking is the method used but they insist its called S&G.)

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

OK scanned the pictures .... hope they are clear !!! :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

blaargh .... i have a headache ... :S

Anyways a quick update, my father in laws Shoteya is getting fiber glassed and should be ready for inspection this week (ill take some photos!).

I want to start building some RC boats myself, at least should they sink due to bad building i would be "on the safe side" of the water :D

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

no idea what the second picture shows, but the third shows a strip plank boat.

Lookup Glen L to see S&G boats.

Regards
    Richard

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yah guess the wording is mixed up with them or something they still insist its called S&G ... The engineer there also said i do not need any frames for my boat should i go with epoxy and fiber.

I trust your opinion much more tbh and we will proceed as we discussed with mulberry frames and planks, but their opinion makes me wounder if they actually know what their talking about.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sure not!

Every other ******* knows what stitch and glue means. If they mix it up with planking methods, they have just no clue what they are talking.

And selling a product which was especially formulated for wood epoxy building methods, but recommending it for GRP building is as dumb.

Regards
    Richard

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Ok then more researching lol .....
    What would be the reason for some one to build with out frames? I know fiberglass boats are based on the same concept.

The other epoxy supplier has some samples for me, unfortunately curing time is around 1 hr or so. So its gona be pretty hard working with that, still trials this or next week are in order.

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Just had a trip in a Stingray bow rider ..... man its a smooth ride .... v6 engine with plenty of power ....
    Pretty nice boat (in the river not in the sea), im going to the north coast next week to have a look around and get a better feel to boats, hulls and how they handle in water.
    Time to apply some of my reading to RL :D

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Quick update,

Shoteya is finished fiberglass, they put on 2 matt layers and 1 woven (or cloth) layer on the outside and is awaiting our inspection! so a 7 hr trip some time soon :S

I still need the CMB epoxy material to try out for mulberry planks.

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

What are marine plywood prices ??
    i got a quote for $158 per sheet 4x8' (122x244cm) 6mm, is it me or is this ridiculously over priced??

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

50$ to 60$ US would be a high price.

at 158$ they should deliver AAA grade Teak ply already Epoxy coated all sides.

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

nope just plain high grade plywood .... rip off :S stitch and glue is actually more expansive than everything else with these prices ....

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

......and sure not what you want in your planned boat..........

Believe me, when we are going for a strip planked boat, sheathed with some 300 - 400 gram glass fabric, we have the result you want (and need).

And mulberry plank on Mulb. frames gives us a strong and not too heavy boat.
    More important, your builders have already experience with the material and roughly with the method!

Regards
    Richard

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yah i am not changing the construction method as agreed we are proceeding that way !! I am going to the yard this week to see the shoteya they and to take with me CMB epoxy for trial.

They have the planks ready (3 cm left to dry that will be cut to 1.5 cm) and i will use either the cloth they got (havent seen it yet) or west woods PXL fabric woven.

I was studying stitch and glue for myself as well as fiber etc... as i mentioned im in love with boats now :)

The only problem with CMB is the very fast curing time, also the supplier is not at all familiar with this use for it so he is of little help.
    1 hour is pretty short time (not to mention its around 45 degrees and humidity is 97%) so we shall see.

I am not sure how much material to buy though .... both epoxy and fiber

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

We have to have a closer look into the resin properties before you purchase anything accept samples ! ! ! ! ! !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.