My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thanks ! 3 it is ! what about the inside 1 or 2 ?

One more thing, what they do is apply a lower thickness matt fiber for the first layer then they apply a thicker fiber on the 2nd. The reason they said that thicker fiber does not stick well to wood and needs a "soft" layer first.
    (they use 600 as the thicker version and 300 as the softer one).

If i am to build the exact same boat with epoxy and mulberry, would i need to increase the framing? or would the mulberry planks with epoxy add enough strength to the frame?
    --------

I am curies about your work in Turkey! Would there be any possibility for me to travel there and maybe learn a thing or two from a yard there that does good work ??

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

No prob. I can make some contacts for you to do a sort of "unpaid apprenticeship".

Regards
    Richard

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

That would be fantastic !!! I will contact you if i will be able to arrange a trip!!
    Again many many thanks apex !!

Some pics from another boat being build. I think if i see what this yard is doing and do the complete opposite i should end up with a well build boat!!!

Would it be a good idea to add storage area under the side planks holding the boat? i was thinking that i would use the area as storage space at the same time increase the boats frames. From the top of the plank that goes side ways to the bottom left and right. (dunno if i explained myself properly but i attached a picture on the area i am talking about - the white child like arrows i drew so unprofessionally!!!)

Attached Files:

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Q, Richard, why can a boat not made unsinkable ?

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Well titanic tried that :p I would be interested to see the next Unsinkable concept .....

Was my white arrows that bad it scared away every one :( !!!

On a side note, this is a picture from Alexandria library. This is only a very small angle the building is huge!!

Attached Files:

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

A friends Sea swirl fiber boat was being refurbished, however as i was taking pictures (as usual ;) ) to my surprise i found wood laminated by fiber on both sides. I attached the picture as i was not sure why would a fiber boat builder use wood like that. This is the back rest for a chair and its the area between the engine at the back of the boat.

Also what about the wood cabinet idea i suggested? Any feedback ?

Attached Files:

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Here is a clearer picture of the area i am talking about ! :)

Attached Files:

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

A traditional fishing boat in alex

Attached Files:

9. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I don't have any input on the construction your boat. But I just want to say this is a great thread. A lot of newbies just seem to want to argue with Richard and the other pros and continue on with their bad ideas instead of adapting. I'm sure your boat will end up a seaworthy build. Please take a lot of pics when you build it :)

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I hope so !!! This has been an amazing experience so far !! I am falling in love with boats more and more every day !!!
    Richard and every one here are great people ... (Where is he lately though? Haven t seen his replies for some time!.)

Thanks for your support! And i do hope my thread helps others as well as myself :)
    -------------

A quick update, i just came back from the yard that i will build the boat with. We will proceed as agreed (Mulbery for frames) but they want to use a different wood type for planking (they will call me today).
    It took some time to explain that epoxy over wood is not a fantasy and i will build the boat on my responsibility (after some plank testing!).

I will meet with West System epoxy sales rep next Tuesday to get some info on the epoxy and fiber i will be using!

I'll post some pics later today !

-----

This is very similar to the Shoteya i original wanted to build. However this seems like a lake going design rather than sea.
    Does any one know if this hull shape can be adapted for fishing at calm sea or if there is something similar to this design?

Attached Files:

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am sailing! Cannot reply daily.

Take care, West is expensive! We can sure use a local Epoxy instead!

Regards
    Richard

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

lol have fun mate! Missed your feedback ;)

Yah i know but the information i can get from them will help a lot even if i dont build using their epoxy.

Found some local epoxys not sure about the data sheet, so any feedback is highly appreciated!
    http://www.isipac.net/EPOXY_industrial_paints.htm
    http://www.pachin.net/products.php?cat=2&sub=9
    http://www.cmbegypt.com/en/index.php?page=kemapoxy-116-pur (They have a lot of materials, i got lost in finding the one i need :S )

Just a few i found around, still looking for more (im still doing research in that area)

Any ideas about the hull design though?

And have fun !!!

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks I have..............

None of the products above are resins for laminating! All paints, additives or other stuff for the construction business.

But you may ask any of them if they have what we need.

Regards
    Richard

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

(please correct me if i am wrong) I need a Resin-based epoxy with low-viscosity for composite wooden boat building. I need a slow curing time (since the temperature is high).
    Did i miss anything ?

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Epoxy IS a resin.

You need a "laminating" resin with a slow formulated hardener (curing agent).
    The resin should be 100% solid content, no diluents or solvents!

The products you referred to are based on Ep resin, but then modified to be a paint or concrete treatment etc.

The resin must not be specially "tuned" for wood applications.

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.