My Impossible mission

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by D.I.M.1, Oct 5, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Richard... We don't have those shops in Norway..... Some kindergarden for us husbands though...

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

It's a forum thing: you'll get used to it! On this forum, you have to be very careful what you ask for ...

4. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

I understand that topics can go off to many different directions but I was just curious about how it went from HHO to Colour TV, was it just an abrupt thing or was it a slow change that occurred while I was out?
    And I completely understand I can twist any conversation to the most unrelated topic almost effortlessly.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Air is lighter than water. Lightness reduces drag. Most TV is for airheads, and we don't want them in drag, either!

6. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

DIM1
    the topic did not change! It just went from silly to serious.

Make sure you use the old "Siemens HD* Skyhook", they are heavy, but reliable. Though you need three men to hook them up!

So easy is colour TV (at least for the observer).........................:idea:

*HD = hält dauerhaft

8. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

Do you seriously think skyhook is a possibility?

9. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Yup, we've always used that, espesially when cranes/ booms have proven to reach yield stress in the material...

First time I encontered the need for a Skyhook was for a drilling rig (for tunnels) when they upgraded to a (much) heavier hydraulic drilling unit (on the boom). But alas, the skies that fit inside a tunnel is too small to have enough lift to make any serious improvements.

Ok, later I rememered this joke, but then to my astonishment, in Scotland, someone actually showed up with something called a "skyhook", not too far away from Ben Nevis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_(climbing)

other types of skyhooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook

Check especially out the Fulton type....
    "Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew..."​
    (but originally it started as an engineers joke to find some remedy for something designed too weak...)

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Of course, thats a matter of fact.

Though I have much less experience than Knut with that device I can say we used a Siemens Skyhook every time we had nothing to connect a pulley. But skyhooks are prone to oxidation especially when exposed to Dihydrogen - monoxide, which was quite often the case.
    We now use a gravitational mass lifter instead. Here the lifting device is separated from the control mimic (basically a WROM = write only memory) encapsulated in Hydroxyl - acid*, and connected through a simple WLAN - cable. Basically a "GIGO" mechanism, based on "OSI" layer 8 technology, developed by Ola og Kari Nordmann.

*aka μ-Oxydo - dihydrogen[​IMG]

ja, you know there are exactly 10 kinds of people, those who understand the binary system, and those who do´nt!

Regards
    Richard

11. hoytedow

binary system; invented by man with no finger on one hand and 1 finger on other hand, correct?

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

So is the history, any comments on skyhooks?

13. hoytedow

Very useful in some applications which are constrained from discussion due to national security reasons.

14. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

You know what if I want to start a thread concerning sky hooks which forum would it be?

It's not that I find this topic interesting and related, but generally I can't reuse the same thread in my bibliographies assignment, and I rather have the information separately to explain two different things.
    Also, for the skyhook thing wouldn't there need to be a plane overhead or something?

And a I a little lost, is this the same skyhook concept from batman the dark knight or are they completely different things?

With apologies,
    Daniel

15. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.