My first Dinghy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MrMahogany, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MrMahogany

MrMahogany Junior Member

Its an 8 footer, I used African Mahogany (light and dark) Walnut and had some zebra laying around.. I knew if i could get all to stick together, it would be pretty...I was wondering if anyone has come up with an easier way to strip![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Welcome here!

Nice boat.

The reason why you probably will not see this way of laying the strips is simple:
    the fiber orientation is not optimal in terms of strength.

But for a boat that size..............
    who cares.

Regards
    Richard

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Beautiful! Congratulations....

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

V ery pretty boat. Nice work

5. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Look awesome. Did you come up with the design and strip plank method yourself?

6. MrMahogany

MrMahogany Junior Member

learning

I used plans from John r. clark.. and actually got carried away and ran the bottom on a herringbone pattern just to be different.. I realize that this would reduce the strength at the chines, so i re enforced them on the in and out side with an extra strip of glass before i covered the boat with glass and epoxy....What did i learn from this boat??????? Dont ever run out of 207 and use 206 hardener for clear coating!!!! I was sanding of amine blush for days!!!
    and used up 100 bucks in sand paper.... I should have stopped and gone back to the store and bought the 207 (which i eventually did) . It was a good learning experience

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Great looking boat!!

It may be a project for you but IMO something like that is very saleable.

There's a guy here in Vancouver that builds stuff like that,charges the moon and is back ordered a couple years...

8. MrMahogany

MrMahogany Junior Member

Hmmm

No kidding..Could you give me some details? I would be interested in selling if the money was right.. and building a lot more!
    Thank you

Sean

9. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I saw a similar boat go for $8,000 and change and was nearly as beautiful. I love craftsmanship, by the way....actually I'm jealous...

10. MrMahogany

MrMahogany Junior Member

Well i am completely flattered.. Thank you!! Can everyone here agree that when they first saw a wooden boat,,, They had to build one??? Mine was a canoe.. I couldnt believe it.. I just had to do it!

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The boat is stupendous, a thing of beauty. It is totally impractical because... who would dare put such a thing in the water? Perish the thought that it might get scratched or dented. Never mind practical, keep up the outstanding work.

12. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

This was a couple years ago,and I see no reason why he'd be slowing down..I think something like yours was $4-5k.
    I know he wanted a deposit.

If it were me I'd make it non-refundable (contracts signed) and enough to cover costs including your time.
    That way if customer backs out,you have your bases covered.

Looks perfect,however may I suggest some banding on the seats,or maybe checkerboard pattern strips?In various places?

Was at an open house for a high end home sale,owner had something like this on the wall as art-which it was.

13. MrMahogany

MrMahogany Junior Member

Honestly, It wasnt that bad.. Yes i had to steel wool the hull and apply a coat of varnish today (because its fun), but i was careful not to scratch it when i took her out.

[​IMG]

14. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Messabout, please tell me you're joking here.

MrM. Use your boat. Drag it up beaches and throw it in the back of your pickup. That fact that it is beautiful will ensure she gets maintained because it is a joy to work on pretty boats as well as use them. No one has ever said to me "what a pretty boat- what a shame you're using it." Your boat will be both beautiful and relevant on the water regardless of any scratches and dings- on a wall, merely beautiful.

"Afterglow" on a beach 25 years ago, and recently.
    my stripper, before gun'l, thwart, and breastplate were installed. I used do do beach cleanups in her. she's about 15 years old now and still looks fairly good, but the epoxy isn't quite as clear anymore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.