My First Design...Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mackid068, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I am thinking of designing a 12' dinghy/tender with a O/B, oars and an auxiliary sail rig. I'm not sure what it should be made of, how it can be made 'unsinkable' and if it's possible to have some sort of rig. This design probably won't be built anytime soon due to my lack of $, but it's gonna be my first REALISTIC design, so I just wonder if anyone has ideas.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you want to practice with a design, a flat bottom pram is ideal. Prams also tow better than boats with sharp entries.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Also a lot of methods & techniques used in Phil Bolger's designs, although with the OB you'll want to design for higher speeds. Very simple, easy to build. You could easily make a copy of your own design in the next couple years or even less.

Edit: Did I miss some of the signature? I originally thought the extra content in it was removed, but now I see that it's worded even more strongly. I withdraw my gratitude for the removal, and second the request that any such content be deleted. What a pain in the butt.
    Edit 2: Signature removed, no more edits.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

mackid068:
    I started a thread about people posting political agendas. Jeff agreed to delete them. Would you please stop your politics?

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Here is the thread in question: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6764

I suppose it's also time to post some general rules for signatures. What I'm thinking of is:
    1.) limited to 3 lines so as not to overpower the thread as a whole.
    2.) any links should be to boat-related or design-related websites, only.
    3.) if three or more people complain about a boat-related signature, you will be asked to revise it or it will be removed. If one or more contributing* member complains about a totally off-topic signature, you will be asked to revise it or it will be removed.

*contributing means someone who has contributed interesting material to the forum, vs. someone who has just signed up and never posted.

How does this sound?

Users do have the option of not viewing any signatures (in your UserCP under Options -> Thread Display Options), but it seems undesirable to have a few signatures offend other members and thus ruin it for everyone.

I will defend anyone's right to post anything related to boats or boat design that's well thought out and provocative, whether I agree with it or not, but I think totally off topic material that offends members who have contributed much to the forum doesn't really have a place - it's important to keep the forums about boats and boat design and a place everyone is comfortable to visit and take part in.

6. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Thanks for commenting, Jeff. I only want to make a couple points.
    My first concern would be to be careful about trying to do everything with regulations. One bad apple (or troll) can spoil the whole bunch, whereas for the most part, I have found (almost) all of the posters on this forum to be reasonable and considerate. So I would place at least some emphasis (i.e. pressure) on the apple him- or herself.
    As for inappropriate content, I would only suggest that its location is irrelevant. I would regulate content as needed and/or appropriate, regardless of where it appears.

7. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Hi Mackid068.

Few questions for ya.

1.) How much do you expect this boat to carry?

2.) What kind of Primary performance are you looking for? Displacement (3-4kts)? Semi displacement (4-6kts)? Planing (7-12kts)?

3.) What kind of enviroment are you looking to use it in? Protected waters (bays, bayous, lagoons, and harbors)? Semi protected (large rivers, exposed anchorages with good weather, and small lakes with rough weather)?

4.) What is going to be its primary propulsion system? Oars? Outboard? Sail?

5.) What material are you going to make it out of?

I think it would be a good idea for you to ponder at least some of these questions before you start the design process. You will probably find that for whatever you gain in one area, you will lose in another. For this reason I always try to look at what features of a design are most important to me and move them to the top of my priority list. Some things on my list often end up being abandoned because they compromise by too much the things I'm really after.

Welcome to the hair spliting world of boat design.

Bob

8. mackid068

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my politics, the sig is removed.

9. mackid068

sharpii2 (or bob, whichever you prefer)

Outboard is primary propulsion, the planned body of water is Long Island Sound (VERY CLOSE TO SHORE, in a well-travelled area), capacity probably 750 lbs?, fiberglass hull most certainly, dory style hull (planing hull). Thank you for your insightful welcome to boat design.

I have henceforth resolved to increase the design's length a bit to 16 ft. In addition, I'll use a semiplaning dory hull with a full skeg, have a really small enclosed area and a hardtop.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.