My first boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LowelandSystem, Nov 6, 2016.

1. LowelandSystem

LowelandSystem Previous Member

Pleas dont laugh I tried my best in 12 days... with water jet engine, but engine was so poor.... just sharing. With minimal equipment and no one support went to the coast indian ocean. :(

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Loweland,

In the quote I've fixed the YouTube posting by putting only the actual video ID within the YouTube tags, not the whole link.

See the forum's FAQ ---> YouTube

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Thanks go to Angelique for getting the pictures going. What was the jet unit you used ? And a small diesel engine. And please, put safety first, put some styrofoam in that boat.

4. LowelandSystem

Thanks Angelique for rectifying the problem. I build my own water jet propulsion system, and as I didnt have that much money, I bought a Chinese 4 stroke 8hp diesel engine. average speed 1.8 NM. Mr Efficiency,where should I put the styrofoam? that will be a great help. I am bit confused.

5. Mr Efficiency

A belt along each side, not too low down, in case you spring a leak somewhere !

6. Angélique

Instead of using styrofoam you could build lengthwise benches (air chambers) along both sides of the boat, each divided in two or three compartments with watertight lids on top, and the same kind of bench-locker-air chamber along the stern is possible, so the captain and the passengers would have something to sit on, and it will give you storage space, and so you would have the built in buoyancy for emergencies. This will also enhance the boat's rigidity. You could also close the bow area below the fore deck with a bulkhead for the same reasons, and give it one or more watertight lids for accessibility. Build in at least as much air chamber space in liters as the max displacement of the boat in kg, desirable is an excess amount of built in buoyancy. Keep the air chambers closed on the water, open max one at the time and only in fair circumstances, and don't overload them with your gear.

Good luck !

7. Mr Efficiency

What you say would be good, Angelique, but seeing this is a rough-as-guts vessel, I think some simple bench seats with a slab of foam glued on the underside would be OK.

8. Angélique

-
    Yes, simple side benches with styrofoam underneath would be the fastest way to get the built in buoyancy.

But the side benches as air chambers are not that difficult, it could be done like on the Puddle Duck Racer, kids build them regularly.

Puddle Duck Racer ---> Plans ---> Lumber to Lake in 5 Days ---> Leg-O-Mutton Sail Rig
    Loweland, please take note that you need the built in buoyancy in case a wave comes aboard, that water load will lower the boat at bit, so the next wave comes easier aboard, and so on till the boat sinks, unless you have sufficient built in buoyancy which will keep the boat afloat, whether the inboard water comes from a leak or incoming waves.

9. LowelandSystem

Thanks for the valuable information, I am putting styrofoam as recommended, and this time I am using a 50 hp yamaha outboard engine to test it. I will show you video result after the sea trial.. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.