My boat sank

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ted655, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Kach, Actually, it's just the oppisite here. We are allowed to anchor in little insets and niches, as long as we don't tie to, OR step foot on land. Most land is private & leased to hunting clubs. Access is jealously protected.
    ====="Need some ping ping balls?"======
    :) I saw that show on Discovery also.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

sorry ted ,,still looks salvagable if you have decent weather ,,can ya go in at low tide and get a start on her?maybe rig to the trees ,,high,,it looks like all you need is to get slightly ahead of the water,,,,and pump out the rest of the muck,,,,again sorry and good luck ,longliner

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:( We are in a flood storage basin for the Mississippi River. No tide. They tell us to expect another 5-7 feet by the middle of April.
    As she sits now, there is 6' of water above the deck aft. She needs to rise that much to provide the "rim" to pump over. Those trees are Willow. I wouldn't tie my dog to one! :)
    Your right about the salvage. As long as she is under, nothing rusts. There is a niffty Turbo charged Volvo 6 diesel & a 8K Westerbeke genset down there. Tsk, tsk.
    It has to be a younger fellow who wants her, but bargain she is at $2K!
    July or August, the USCoE will drop the water. Thanks, Ted:)

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ted,,,,,,get some truck tire inertubes,,and a portable compressor,,,;;put the tubes just under waterline,and rope them together by puting a rope under your hull, and fill them ,,you might be surprised at the results,,they wont lift the boat out of the water but might add enough bouayancy to bring her even,,,then start pumping,,you may need ,several,,good luck,longliner

5. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Hi Ted,
    Sorry for your loss. I know it looks, and is, bad, but if you could seal off the openings with ply, plastic sheet, duct tape, etc., then improvise some bouyancy as Longliner suggests, who knows? Grady has offered pumps, you may need a barge or workboat to work from, as I don't see any waterside access. Someone close by may have the ideal vessel.
    If you were successfull, you might change your outlook after giving her a good hose down and dry out.
    All the Best of Luck,

Murdo

6. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:p I am amazed! SO many fellows have contacted me in the past few days about buying her. Seens everyone wants a sunk boat to "fix" up. Go figure!!
    I've considered & consulted and given deep thought to raising her. Sadly, for us, it is just more than we fell we can do.
    I just sold her for salvage 1 hour ago.:( I hope to "watch", (as health allows), the raising efforts. I will try to take pertinent pictures of the way "they " do it. Maybe even consult. :D
    Thanks to you all for the ideas & support. As I said, I posted to "remind" us all, boats sink in the damdest ways.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Are you planning to build/buy another? - maybe have a "canoe stern" so no transom to be an issue?

8. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

We had a 44' X 14' plywood barge 1/2 started before we decided to buy a houseboat & travel. Ha! the price of fuel, shee!:mad:
    Allwe really want is to live back in a bayou somewhere, so we will finish the barge & put a cabin on it.
    . It wasn't the stern. It was, (I think), a vent thru hull & a anchor that prevented the boat from swinging to face the wind.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry for the confusion I was referring to your "signature" nothing else... Now you are talkin... keep on boating... my favourite is Bob Oram design... shallow draft, light, easily powered (I am looking at electric & small - 700cc s cyl generator powered) for the 29 islander or 38 mango if we move inland to farm again.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Ted, get some stuff that can be inflated, tie to anywhere you can and inflate from the land or another boat. Once you get a rim out you can pump it out. It's never too late. At least it's not under, like in GONE !!

Be a nice project :rolleyes: but don't give up
    Think of the new stuff you could put in it. ;)

11. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I sold it yesterday, but thanks. I watched them try to raise her all day today. So far, men...0, boat...1. Maybe tomorrow???

12. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

Hey ted,

Sorry for your loss! its to bad i didn't see this forum earlier and contact you, I would have liked to have a new project in the USA to start.

Sorry for your loss again and hope to see photos of her being raised.

Jordan

13. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Sorry about the loss but dont give up so easily, a few truck inner tubes and a compresser could get the gunwhale up above water level quite easily so that she could be pumped out. In California, when I was there about 25 years ago, a 70 foot wood schooner was raised by using numerous packets of plastic lawn and leaf bags, a staple gun and compressed air from dive bottles. The bags were stapled to the hull and then inflated and she came up after about four hours of work by three or four people as I remember it.
    Anyway best of luck with her and the sooner she is up the better for the motors as they should be rescuable if properly treated when raised.

14. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

One more in the club then! :)

(Personally; 2 downers, me not there, boat in harbour, one 3rd downer, veerry rapid, throtteling down to slow speed, suddenly angle 30° down, got a bit surpriced there, you can say:confused: , the last one (no 4) doesn't count, just an dinghy with an outboard, this winter, recently repaired...? Plus some work related downers....).

So; welcome!;)

Any idea for a club logo?:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.