Multihull Wave Piercing Power Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Powerhouse, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tangles

tangles New Member

sweet

i wouldn't mind building something like Earthrace only a small single seat maybe a couple of meters long powered by an outboard checkout www.earthrace.net

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I am a big fan of Sonny Levy and would like to know more about Cary's experience with him.
    I know that he has designed few flying boats too, of a very particular kind (ground-effect or tunnel hull with surface props). Some were constructed (Arcidiavolo), some are still just a dream (RAM Wing 100).
    Sonny Levi is definitely a man I would have lliked to meet and have a chat with. Few other designers of fast powerboats in the world have a knowledge and experience he has. I consider Cary a lucky guy because you've had that honour. ;)
    So Cary, if you are still here on the forum (years have past since your post), how about telling us a bit more about your exchange of ideas with Sonny (if it is not a professional secret, of course)? :)
    Cheers!

3. samcool111

samcool111 Dr.

I'am working on this type of boats. It amazing really but the design work is rather boring...

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Wave piercing designs scale down very well. Bob Clifford of Incat fame built an 18 footer to prove the concept initially, it went so well they went to the bigger designs.

My closest "wave piercing" boat was a very narrow hulled trimaran, 20 ft - it was a wonderfully soft ride under sail or power. If you simply shape the hull to cope with immersion in bigger waves back about a metre or two from the bow, it should be fine.

With a boat that size, you dont need much design help - just copy a picture if you cant find a designer. I suggest fibreglass rather than aluminium as forming compound curves in smaller craft is much easier.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.