Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Rep: 77 Posts: 249
Brian the boat I owned before the Dragonfly was a Gozzard P-40. We lived on the boat 6 months a year and traveled up and down the mid Atlantic coast. If you have questions about the P-40 contact me. 206 920 6172.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Second "Discoverer vessel' Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I drooled as well...for a number of years while I tried to make contact with the owner.
Eventually the gentleman who owned it passed away down in FL, and the marina owner made a deal with some other buyers..

You do realize that the brochure in posting #61 (courtesy of Tad) is that very vessel. Research thus far indicates there were only 2 of this design built.

Quote:
The gentleman who bought the Rhodes Discoverer 44 has just found one of my forum postings on the the subject:
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-sailing-discussion/6710-motor-sailers-philip-rhodes-john-alden-6.html#post147249

He is currently in the process of restoring her, and is keeping a blog on the process:
http://maritimehistory.org/blogs/kirk-pierce

The sistership to the vessel in Southern Md. Recently shipped from Calif to Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted by Kirk's blog
Awhile back, I discovered that Blanca's sister ship (the other of only two made) was docked in Alameda, California. She (oddly, named "Gypsy") recently underwent a change of ownership and was relocated to Ohio. I've traded emails and phone-calls with the owners, and they shared some pictures of her as she was being relocated. So strange, to see "my boat" (with slight differences), being partly disassembled and trailered!

Here she is, with her fly-bridge sliced off and placed on the bow. This got her total height low enough for transport. Gypsy in California

And here she is, being reassembled in Ohio. I'm told they'll keep her on the hard for awhile, to do some hull-work before re-launching her.
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-gypsy_departing_california-cropped.jpg

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-gypsy_arrived_ohio-cropped.jpg

Looks like someone put a canopy over that aft deck, and a opening in the stern out onto a 'swim platform'.

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-rhodes-discoverer-44-ad-ps.jpg
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 AM

Alden 57, "Riversong"

Wow. look what I just found over in the Alden archives,...a 57' footer called Riversong built over in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-980e_riversong.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
B.E.
Looks similar to the 58 Alden Hawksbill on yachtworld.com
Listed as a 1970 70' (LOA) Lyman Morse named ARABELLA.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgpk View Post
B.E.
Looks similar to the 58 Alden Hawksbill on yachtworld.com
Listed as a 1970 70' (LOA) Lyman Morse named ARABELLA.
Don't understand your posting??
Is there a 58' Alden on Yachtworld?
Surely someone would not confuse a listing for a 70 footer with a 58 footer?
Can you site the exact webpages?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Yes
Go to yachtworld.com and enter a search for Lyman Morse
70 feet
Cheers
Best
Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Sterling Hayden link update

Quote:
This was truly adventure inspiration, and certainly a big spark to my interest in cruising the world upon the sea.

As if that wasn’t enough, in 1963 the actor Sterling Hayden published his book Wanderer;
They never taught wandering in any school I attended. They never taught the art of sailing a vessel, either. Or that of writing a book. It's all so mysterious and – yes – enchanting. And that is what I suppose this book is all about.”

Since its first publication in 1963, controversy has surrounded Wanderer, the autobiography of Sterling Hayden. Just as he approached the peak of his career as a movie star, Hayden suddenly abandoned Hollywood, walked out on a shattered marriage, defied the courts, and set sail with his four children aboard the schooner WANDERER. A broke outlaw, he escaped to the South Seas.

Wanderer is the inspirational story of a complex and contradictory man; a rebel and a seeker, undefeated by failure to find himself in love, adventure, drink, or escape.
"
http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog.../wanderer.html
I just took a look at the introductory posting of this subject thread and discovered the link to Sterling Hayden was no longer valid. So Thought an update was appropriate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Hayden
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Rep: 15 Posts: 4
New info about Rhodes "Discoverer"-- We made it to Mystic Seaport and made copies of some plans and design notes.

Read more here: http://maritimehistory.org/content/h...anca-10oct2013

If you have any detailed questions I can look up on the plan sheets, let me know (Brian!)

-Kirk
Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Previous Member

"Arrgh. Where are me trimaran motor sailers with room for some spinach."

Beautiful ships.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Rep: 15 Posts: 4
Update for those interested: Rhodes' Discoverer "Ballena Blanca" is operational under her own power.

Blog post at http://maritimehistory.org/content/b...anca-14jan2014
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-comingtopier.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Big congratulations Kirk. Good pics on your blog. I'll put some comments on it when I get my new password,...forgot it.

You are working out in some cold weather there, aren't you? I'm overseas in a bit warmer climate at the moment.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM

BTW, I made a trip up to RI just after Thanksgiving to have a look at the other vessel that is very similar in design concept to your Rhodes,...the 57 Alden, Hawksbill. She had come up for sale at what appeared to be a very attractive price, but she was not that well taken care of over the past 6-7 years. It was going to be too much of a project for me.

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 PM

After 99 years in business, the Alden design firm closed in 2008 and the plans were donated to the Hart Nautical Collection of MIT Museum. Most of the collection was cataloged and scanned by the Alden holding company under the direction of Niels Helleberg, a designer at Alden since 1971. Helleberg continued providing design and print services until closing his office in January 2014.

Alden Designs - Hart Nautical Collection, MIT Museum - Designers of Fine Yachts

8 Bells
Niels Helleberg passed away peacefully at the age of 74 on February 21, 2014. You can read his obituary in the Boston Globe

Niels was an amazing resource for all things relating to Alden Designs where he started in 1971. His designs ranged from 15' to 169'
Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM

River Song. more photos

Quote:
Wow. look what I just found over in the Alden archives,...a 57' footer called Riversong built over in Australia.
Found some more photos of this vessel lingering on my computer
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-alden-57-riversong-640.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4046_riversong_mg_1719.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4054_riversong_mg_1803.jpg  

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4055_riversong_mg_1785.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-img_0818.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-img_0826.jpg  

Old 06-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Alden, River Song

...a few more
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4044_riversong_mg_1642.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4043_riversong_mg_1636.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4052_riversong_mg_1660.jpg  

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4050_riversong_mg_1613.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4062_riversong_mg_1616.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-4065_riversong_mg_1661.jpg