Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Apr 3, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes nice sheer BUT look at the short wl, the long overhangs, the inabilty to swim off the boat, thank God things have moved along since then

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Attached Files:

3. brian eiland

Don't tell me please that you perfer the shape of those more modern 'floating clorox bottles' as I refer to many of those modern plastic boats...ha...ha

4. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

to my way of thinking, and once you have experienced the walk down transom, you will never want to live any other way, roll out boarding devices,are clunky to say least, and on a 40-50 foot boat they can not be (hidden away)
    see here, you can fish off it, dive off it, an old lady can climb up the steps which lower into the water, you can back into your slip , or drop people off on a dock. Not to mention the MOB facilty My first boat was like the one in your pic, flaming nightmare in the Pacific, may be ok in North where you stay huddled in your wet weather gear all summer long:))

Attached Files:

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

lazy, if this pic is where you live, you are very close to my mates place.......

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

hope island, I sold her into there,
    i live Buderim

8. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

That's an awesome looking motorsailer you had there. What brand is she? Forget the step-down cockpit....how about a nice big sportfishing cockpit back there? Grandma won't mind getting carried over the transom if she gets to hook a swordfish!

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

look in the other thread on motorsailer past and present, I called her the m55 she was designed by alan mummery in nz, deck and cockpit layout and structural engineering by myself

10. brian eiland

Alden 64

Here's another design I found hiding in my old files. It's an Alden (office) design that reminds me very much of the Rhodes' vessels I documented in posting #1.

This vessel was actually owned by a gentleman who started up a well know seafood restaurant in old town Alexandria here in Washington DC. He has since passed away. I actually took photos of the pictures hung on the walls of the resturant, and that explains the bright refection in these scans that developed from the flash of the camera and the glass covering of the photos.

I believe the name of the vessel was SunShine.

Attached Files:

11. brian eiland

Burger, Sparkman & Stephens team up on motorsailers

Burger, Sparkman & Stephens team up on motorsailers

Wednesday, 29 October 2008
    Burger Boat Company and Sparkman & Stephens are joining forces to design and build custom aluminum motorsailers.

These vessels will continue what was started with the first Sparkman & Stephens-designed aluminum yawl built by Burger in 1957.

The collaboration will see the introduction of three new motorsailers from 90ft-150ft (27.4m-45.7m) that were designed exclusively for Burger by Sparkman. The hull and superstructure of the new vessels will be fabricated in Alustar aluminium and will feature the latest in technology and state-of-the-art innovation.

Sparkman & Stephens has designed more than 50 motorsailers in the past 78 years, beginning with the Tamerlane in 1933 and culminating with vessels such as Osprey, Sea Angel, Freedom and Galileo, among others. The new high-performance motorsailers make use of recent advances in computer modelling, rig design and material science, and are uniquely suited for exploration.

Burger’s worldwide fleet is composed entirely of unique yachts — built one of a kind, one at a time. The company delivers a limited number of new yachts per year.

Sparkman & Stephens designers have incorporated recent advances in computer modeling, rig design and material science into each of these new boats. As a result, fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly systems were specified from the earliest design stages.

Burger Boat, based in Manitowoc, Wis., designs and builds custom motoryachts to 200 feet in aluminum and/or steel.

12. brian eiland

Greek Motorsailer

Not exactly a Rhodes or Aden design, but certainly one that captures an adventurous spirit.

… and the journey continues with a fairy wooden boat, sailing in blue seas, endless horizons, islands with famous myths and civilization monuments, heavenly beauties, it continues in Greece … the sunny Greece…!

The inspirer and owner of “Generalis” guesthouse, having a successful route in the field of hospitality and great love towards the sea, created the continuity of his fairyland by constructing “Generalis Yacht”, a unique, wooden 25m. sailing boat, equal in luxury to the guesthouse.

The “Generalis Yacht” sailing boat was made exclusively by wood and with hack value from 2006 to 2008 in the Argolic valley. The virtuoso naval architect Ioannis Lekkas had the supervision of this construction. Five fully equipped cabins, a kitchen, bar, indoor and outdoor sitting area, water sport equipment and skilled crew, ready to satisfy all requirements and wishes, are only some of the facilities offered for a memorable holiday.

Our sailing boat “Generalis Yachts” sails in every sea, in every myth… everywhere Aeolus blows… in the magical Aegean Sea where Odysseus wandered… in the emerald Ionian Sea… in the Sporades islands of the Argonauts… in the Icarian Sea… in the Myrtoan Sea.. in our islands… in Greece… the sunny Greece…!!

Type: Schooner
    L.O.A: 25m (83.25 ft)
    Beam: 6,28m (20.6 ft)
    Draft: 2.20m
    Hull & Superstructure: Iroko
    Deck: Iroko
    Interior: Oregon & Iroko

Engines: 2 x 320 HP
    Generators: 1x60KW & 1x15KW
    Voltage: 220V AC, 24V DC
    Cruising Speed: 10 Knots - Maximum 12 Knots
    Fuel Consumption: 60 ltrs/hour (including generator consumption)

Accomodation: 5 cabins with double beds (1,45m x 2.00m).
    All cabins provided with individual TV - DVD - CD- RADIO - USB en suite facilities and fully air conditioned.
    Crew: Four (captain, cook, steward, deck hand) in separate quarters
    Leisure: Tender Callegari (4,10m) with Suzuki 50Hp , Water Ski, Tubes, Windsurf, Fishing and Snorkelling equipment

...fun and adventrure in the Greek isles...on a wooden motorsailer...count me in

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
    • 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      26 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      162.9 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views:
    • 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

That is one beautiful wood boat. Woos Lasts Generations.

14. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

have you seen the siver/bain motorsailers

15. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

certainly terms vary, in england a m/s motors better than it sails

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.