Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM
lazeyjack

yes nice sheer BUT look at the short wl, the long overhangs, the inabilty to swim off the boat, thank God things have moved along since then
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,654
Countess 44

The Windsong design has to be the inspiration for the Pearson 44 Countess production vessels...another very pretty and practical design

http://www.geocities.com/countess_club

http://www.pearsoncurrent.com/Member...s/countess.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-countess-44-ketch-sailplan.jpg  
Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazeyjack View Post
yes nice sheer BUT look at the short wl, the long overhangs, the inabilty to swim off the boat, thank God things have moved along since then
Don't tell me please that you perfer the shape of those more modern 'floating clorox bottles' as I refer to many of those modern plastic boats...ha...ha
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Previous Member

With all the new hardware options available today, there really should be no reason to ever compromise aesthetics for utility. Telescoping gangways and fold-away platforms...etc. can stay well hidden. Opacmare comes to mind:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/opacm...ml#prod_184098
Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceclark View Post
With all the new hardware options available today, there really should be no reason to ever compromise aesthetics for utility. Telescoping gangways and fold-away platforms...etc. can stay well hidden. Opacmare comes to mind:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/opacm...ml#prod_184098
to my way of thinking, and once you have experienced the walk down transom, you will never want to live any other way, roll out boarding devices,are clunky to say least, and on a 40-50 foot boat they can not be (hidden away)
see here, you can fish off it, dive off it, an old lady can climb up the steps which lower into the water, you can back into your slip , or drop people off on a dock. Not to mention the MOB facilty My first boat was like the one in your pic, flaming nightmare in the Pacific, may be ok in North where you stay huddled in your wet weather gear all summer long)
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-m55pics-spec-056.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 AM

Rep: 1802 Posts: 2,642
lazy, if this pic is where you live, you are very close to my mates place.......
Old 07-14-2008, 03:57 AM
lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlubber View Post
lazy, if this pic is where you live, you are very close to my mates place.......
hope island, I sold her into there,
i live Buderim
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Previous Member

That's an awesome looking motorsailer you had there. What brand is she? Forget the step-down cockpit....how about a nice big sportfishing cockpit back there? Grandma won't mind getting carried over the transom if she gets to hook a swordfish!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM
lazeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceclark View Post
That's an awesome looking motorsailer you had there. What brand is she? Forget the step-down cockpit....how about a nice big sportfishing cockpit back there? Grandma won't mind getting carried over the transom if she gets to hook a swordfish!
look in the other thread on motorsailer past and present, I called her the m55 she was designed by alan mummery in nz, deck and cockpit layout and structural engineering by myself
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Alden 64

Here's another design I found hiding in my old files. It's an Alden (office) design that reminds me very much of the Rhodes' vessels I documented in posting #1.

This vessel was actually owned by a gentleman who started up a well know seafood restaurant in old town Alexandria here in Washington DC. He has since passed away. I actually took photos of the pictures hung on the walls of the resturant, and that explains the bright refection in these scans that developed from the flash of the camera and the glass covering of the photos.

I believe the name of the vessel was SunShine.
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-img_0145.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-img_0149.jpg  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Burger, Sparkman & Stephens team up on motorsailers

Burger, Sparkman & Stephens team up on motorsailers

Wednesday, 29 October 2008
Burger Boat Company and Sparkman & Stephens are joining forces to design and build custom aluminum motorsailers.

These vessels will continue what was started with the first Sparkman & Stephens-designed aluminum yawl built by Burger in 1957.

The collaboration will see the introduction of three new motorsailers from 90ft-150ft (27.4m-45.7m) that were designed exclusively for Burger by Sparkman. The hull and superstructure of the new vessels will be fabricated in Alustar aluminium and will feature the latest in technology and state-of-the-art innovation.

Sparkman & Stephens has designed more than 50 motorsailers in the past 78 years, beginning with the Tamerlane in 1933 and culminating with vessels such as Osprey, Sea Angel, Freedom and Galileo, among others. The new high-performance motorsailers make use of recent advances in computer modelling, rig design and material science, and are uniquely suited for exploration.

Burger’s worldwide fleet is composed entirely of unique yachts — built one of a kind, one at a time. The company delivers a limited number of new yachts per year.

Sparkman & Stephens designers have incorporated recent advances in computer modeling, rig design and material science into each of these new boats. As a result, fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly systems were specified from the earliest design stages.

Burger Boat, based in Manitowoc, Wis., designs and builds custom motoryachts to 200 feet in aluminum and/or steel.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Greek Motorsailer

Not exactly a Rhodes or Aden design, but certainly one that captures an adventurous spirit.

… and the journey continues with a fairy wooden boat, sailing in blue seas, endless horizons, islands with famous myths and civilization monuments, heavenly beauties, it continues in Greece … the sunny Greece…!

The inspirer and owner of “Generalis” guesthouse, having a successful route in the field of hospitality and great love towards the sea, created the continuity of his fairyland by constructing “Generalis Yacht”, a unique, wooden 25m. sailing boat, equal in luxury to the guesthouse.

The “Generalis Yacht” sailing boat was made exclusively by wood and with hack value from 2006 to 2008 in the Argolic valley. The virtuoso naval architect Ioannis Lekkas had the supervision of this construction. Five fully equipped cabins, a kitchen, bar, indoor and outdoor sitting area, water sport equipment and skilled crew, ready to satisfy all requirements and wishes, are only some of the facilities offered for a memorable holiday.

Our sailing boat “Generalis Yachts” sails in every sea, in every myth… everywhere Aeolus blows… in the magical Aegean Sea where Odysseus wandered… in the emerald Ionian Sea… in the Sporades islands of the Argonauts… in the Icarian Sea… in the Myrtoan Sea.. in our islands… in Greece… the sunny Greece…!!

Type: Schooner
L.O.A: 25m (83.25 ft)
Beam: 6,28m (20.6 ft)
Draft: 2.20m
Hull & Superstructure: Iroko
Deck: Iroko
Interior: Oregon & Iroko

Engines: 2 x 320 HP
Generators: 1x60KW & 1x15KW
Voltage: 220V AC, 24V DC
Cruising Speed: 10 Knots - Maximum 12 Knots
Fuel Consumption: 60 ltrs/hour (including generator consumption)

Accomodation: 5 cabins with double beds (1,45m x 2.00m).
All cabins provided with individual TV - DVD - CD- RADIO - USB en suite facilities and fully air conditioned.
Crew: Four (captain, cook, steward, deck hand) in separate quarters
Leisure: Tender Callegari (4,10m) with Suzuki 50Hp , Water Ski, Tubes, Windsurf, Fishing and Snorkelling equipment

...fun and adventrure in the Greek isles...on a wooden motorsailer...count me in
Attached Thumbnails
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-40.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-32.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-72.jpg  

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-71.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-70.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-22.jpg  

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-24.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-59.jpg  Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden-60.jpg  

Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Rep: 896 Posts: 1,828
That is one beautiful wood boat. Woos Lasts Generations.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Rep: 680 Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
As one might discern from my numerous postings on the subject, I am an unabashed fan of motorsailers

I’ve written in the past;
One particular design has haunted me for years. It was I think a Phil Rhodes design somewhere around 60'~70', a ketch, with a sizable twin engine room, over which was located a grand main saloon with portlights above deck level. This main saloon had great comfort and expansive vista's, and opened onto a sizable aft deck with a fishing chair at its center. There was even a mini-flybridge helm station and a crow's nest. What a great all-around design to liveaboard and travel the world. She could do anything and everything!! I have in 30 years only seen one or two comparable designs, and sadly I lost those clippings and the pictures of the original design, but the concept has remained with me all these years.”

Just recently I was given some old issues of RUDDER magazine from the 1959-‘63 era. As I paged thru these issues I couldn’t help but notice the numerous times the term motor sailer came up. No wonder this term stuck in my head

In this same era, 59-61, there appeared on TV a wonderful new series called “Adventures in Paradise” written by noted author James Mitchener and starring Garner McKay as the ex-Koran vet Adam Troy who bought an old sailing schooner Tiki and set up a trading business among the South Sea Islands.
http://capitainetroy.free.fr/eng/home.html
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/adventures-in-paradise.htm

This was truly adventure inspiration, and certainly a big spark to my interest in cruising the world upon the sea.

As if that wasn’t enough, in 1963 the actor Sterling Hayden published his book Wanderer;
They never taught wandering in any school I attended. They never taught the art of sailing a vessel, either. Or that of writing a book. It's all so mysterious and – yes – enchanting. And that is what I suppose this book is all about.”

Since its first publication in 1963, controversy has surrounded Wanderer, the autobiography of Sterling Hayden. Just as he approached the peak of his career as a movie star, Hayden suddenly abandoned Hollywood, walked out on a shattered marriage, defied the courts, and set sail with his four children aboard the schooner WANDERER. A broke outlaw, he escaped to the South Seas.

Wanderer is the inspirational story of a complex and contradictory man; a rebel and a seeker, undefeated by failure to find himself in love, adventure, drink, or escape.
"
http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog.../wanderer.html

So this was the era I began to get interested in boats. You can see the influences I was under; get on a sailing vessel and take off somewhere. Motor Sailers seemed to offer the best of all worlds for this adventure. And those designs by Rhodes & Alden were my favorites.

This subject thread is dedicated to those designs by these two gentleman. I will begin with a clipping I found in one of those old Rudder issues that most closely resembles the one in my old memory. The issue was Feb 1964 Show issue. The vessel is Rhodes 70’ Sharelle, and there was a sister ship Kanaloa. (attached dwg)

I still have not found the cutaway, perspective dwg I remember seeing in a full or two page advertisement for such a vessel. Anyone help ?
have you seen the siver/bain motorsailers

Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Rep: 680 Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
Not exactly a motorsailer, but a moderately large, smart-sailing cruising design by Alden, just before he retired.
certainly terms vary, in england a m/s motors better than it sails