Morgan Nelson Marek 36 input and below deck stays.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Cliff, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Cliff

Cliff Junior Member

I am looking at a 1985 Morgan Nelson Marek 36. I am setting up a time to go see it and make an offer on it. Does anybody have any input on the boat and I have found it has diamond stays below deck. They attach at the Chain plates at just below the deck and go from there to the base of the mast. It means needing to step over the port side one everytime one would need to go forward of the mast like to the head, wet locker and the V berth. I have found a sister ship for sale which does not have these and instead has a soild piece of stainless bolted to the bulk head at the same angle but only on the starboard side. The stays do have turnbuckles on them and I assume they are there to support the rig but if they can not be removed it could be a deal breaker for my wife. I can just see her tripping over them already. So can I remove them and do something else?

Thanks Cliff

2. Greybarn

Greybarn Junior Member

These "stays" help support the base the mast. If you take them out, then you will need to add some sort of transverse frame between the mast step and the chainplates. This frame will be necessary to abosrb the thrust (compressive) load of the mast and the vertical load at the chainplate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.