Monohull vs. Multihull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by haru, Jan 17, 2010.

1. haru

haru Junior Member

Yeah, I summed it up with some liberty, since no one seemed to have doneany real comparison of structural design and systems. They are all about form and performance which imho doesn't say much about all the differences. Just like comparing motorbikes to cars. Bikes are smaller use less fuel; could be more efficient, but mostly are overpowered.

Well, I'm not so about speed. One that can get around is fine and be trailerable.
    Just normal private cargo(3-4people etc), with some tolerance to overload if possible for some safety.
    As I summed it up multihulls are better at handling extra weight and somewhat improve relative 'performance' compared to monohull.

2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

No, not really.

A multihull will GENERALLY go faster with a small engine, or sails which don't provide much power.

Once plenty of power is available a mono can get up on the plane and give good speed.

Carrying capacity is about hull design, not simply the number of hulls. Sailing multis are far more unsafe overloaded than a ballasted monhull, but the issues for power boats are different.

Anyway...

3. aranda1984

aranda1984 aranda1984

Hello Haru.

Save yourself a lot of money and headache by learning about the difference!

You can buy a couple of books from Amazon.com and you will be able to make an informed decision about what is right or wrong for you.

"The Cruising Multihull" by Chris White is what you should read first.

Next is: "Mulltihulls for Cruising and Racing" by Derek Harvey.

You can pick up these books for around $ 20.00 each.

...In the worst case you will end up having two good books about boating and multihulls in your library.

Stephen I. M.

4. haru

haru Junior Member

Thanks for the thoughts and recommendations. I will look them up.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Look, it's fine and you need to know the differences between the type of hulls and the type of boats, but there is a big difference in knowledge and experience.

Even if a hull type have a spectacular list of pro's, being on it on the water has a very different experience. Every person experience it differently, you may not like the book chosen hull at all.

My advice would still be, find some people with boats like what you have in mind, talk to them about it, if you can bribe them for a drive so you can experience it.

There are some really very nice boats out there, you don't want to miss the right one for you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.