Modular furniture system attachment and installation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by arstreamp, Jan 9, 2011.

1. arstreamp

arstreamp New Member

Hi all!
    My name is Ann and I just joined the forum, I’m also a new comer to modular furniture system. I’m still trying to understand it all and our little company (just me and my husband) is still navigating through all the different ways to approach the industry. It’s a tough economy! I was wondering – for those of you involved in the industry (especially veterans) business owner or not, what are some of services, tools, strategies, or latest resources you find helpful or profitable in doing your work or - business? Online or offline, I’m sure there is quite a lot in both right?!
    Thanks and God bless!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you mean modular units that will be installed on a particular boat? I have made units/modules that include bulkheads and get tabbed into the hull. What is your target market?

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Ann,

Modular furnishings are used in production boats, very rare to see them on one off or limited production boats. Essentially they are make as a cabinet maker would, same techniques. They are often regarded as not being very "shippy"....they are often square edged, and are obviously seen as "ad ons".

That is not to say they have their uses. The only way to make a boat cheaper is to use construction methods that allow bulk production, production of, almost the same part but at a reduced cost. Production boat builders, say, Beneteau, are quite expert in modular production, have a look at their website to see how they build their boats on a production line.

There are no major production boat builders in Canada, so your chance of providing to such assembly plants is zilch. There may be a market for you to product for one of the smaller boat builders if you find that you can compete with their current build costs. I would suggest that you observe some of the better boat builders results and try to copy the look and designs of their interiors. The old Passage 42 that i am currently working on has a nice modular fitout, they were made by Hunter in the USA. The use of solid teak surrounds and radiused corners makes the fitout look "shippy", yet they are ad ons instead of build ins. Well done, for the money.

For a small builder, go for quality, there is plenty of quantity out there. Unfortunately boat building is almost at a standstall...not a good time to expect great numbers of orders, assuming that you can find a market. Such is life.

Maybe you can consider making very nice quality kitchen fitouts, I know of a Shipwright here that does not play boats anymore, but does very nice custom kitchens for the wealthy, they are the ones that want quality, and can pay for it. Any fool cabinet maker can make a cheap kitchen, not many have the ability to make quality work anymore, try it to see what is available in your area.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I used to work in Montreal making interior modules for Tanzer and Thunderbird. However, I think the question is about home type furniture.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.