Modern Paddle Wheel/Amphibious Craft.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by localman, Apr 25, 2010.

1. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Whitewater boats would probably be OK, but I am partial to pontoons for many advantages. For example you can clear shallow rocks or boulders in between without hanging up on the flexible bottom material-which might rip. Also you can scramble on and off a pontoon instantly or just lower your legs to push or walk or paddle while in different depths of water. All this without marinating your feet in muddy, sandy, pebbly water all day, plus the seats on the pontoons allow a lot more comfort.

Porta

2. localman

localman Junior Member

3. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

localman
    You ask for the thread I mentioned. It was burried far in the history. :)

Here's a link

Lurvio

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Cool.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I know it's been mentioned already, but I'll mention it once more.

Hovercraft

A four stroke with large slow moving propeller may be more quite than most boats able to struggle through the shallows and be far more fuel efficient at it.

If you do have large steps/small waterfalls in the river, going down them should be no problem. Getting back up them may require a winch to a tree or something equally innovative, although I've never heard of anyone having to do that (just made it up).

There are all sorts of videos showing hovercraft climbing small dams in either direction, seek them out if in doubt.

NZ model:
    http://www.hoverworks.co.nz/video.htm

USA model:
    http://www.sevteckits.com/sevteckits/sevteckits.htm

A thread for reference:
    Grey River Trip, New Zealand EasyRideAir Hovercraft Trip
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/f...&p=14362&hl=standing&fromsearch=1&#entry14362

Cool Pics
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lpb3/Chestatee.html
    [​IMG]

6. localman

localman Junior Member

hmm... tempting, except for the noise. If we wanted to do any hunting I'd be worried we'd have scared all animals within a few miles away.

But as far as a 2 person, durable, backwater hovercraft went (that floated when powered down), is there a concensus on the best kits OR home build plans from scratch?

7. localman

localman Junior Member

8. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Thanks for posting very interesting info on the track and hover vehicles, they are really cool, unique and allow better access than the best jet boats or even most kayaks.

Most of the river water I like to explore has at least some narrowed sections with moderate to high walls and low overhanging hanging branches which would limit heavy and wide vehicles from passing. Sometimes there are large boulders in the middle of streams that don't leave enough room, so delicate threading or portaging is required. Sometimes only a lengthy footpath in dense forest or brush leads to the water to be explored. Some pools are so isolated they have to be seeded with fish using helicopters. In my haunts, the only options have been to go to something much smaller and lighter to work such inaccessible waters.

The unique vehicles could be used to carry my pontoon to a closer point of access over water though. Probably they would be great solutions for most other amphibian situations.

Porta

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Not sure a video is accurate to a real life experience. Like most things in life you have to get out and see/hear a few different hovercraft at a gathering or rally to form your own opinion.

Most of the noise coming from the typical hovercraft is from the tips of the fan or propeller blades.

However that said on the more "quiet" 4-stroke craft you may hear the engine more than the fan. The noise you hear may be the lawnmower engine, snowmobile or automotive engine being used.

As far as wildlife, they don't seem to know much about hovercraft. Cranes often fly side by side with me. Deer jump about in the water trying to get out of the way as I pass. Fish jump about and hit my craft at times, or is it me hitting them?

I posted a couple of the most quiet craft out there, no ear plugs or headphones required, no goggles required to keep the spray off either (unlike my own craft).

The noisy hovercraft is a two-stroke racer with small fan and with tip speeds near the supersonic.

The quiet hovercraft is a four-stroke cruiser with a large slow moving fan or propeller.

They are two different kinds of birds and there exists a split in between the racers and cruisers which for the world of me I don't understand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.