Minimising banking in a turn

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mat-C, Apr 30, 2010.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Dead rise of the particular hull has a lot to do with it along with beam ,rudder or if its outboard the trim of the motor and trim of the hull nose down the back become airborn almost , tail down it want to push a heap of water out of the way . and so on and so on . Its usually a contribution of small things that need correcting !:D

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

There is an optimum angle of heel that makes a turn most comfortable for the occupants of a boat. More speed needs more banking angle and vice-versa. Some of the new control systems integrate the relevant inputs to create this optimum angle that keeps the combination of gravity and centripetal force normal to the vertical axis of the boat. This is the most comfortable and safe angle of heel.

Some boats approximate this angle very well and some don't. A Florida flats boat can tend to throw the passengers out of the boat and some narrow bottom boats like dories tend to make you fall to the inside in high speed turns. The second can be uncomfortable and the first can be very unsafe.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is my opinion too. The poster said minimizing the banking, and I take that to be little or nothing. It makes turns dangerous.

4. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Yes - sorry, I wasn't all that clear in my original post.
    I was in a boat the other day that rolled excessively during even quite minor turns, so was interested in what elements would lessen this.
    Of course, as you, Tom and others have pointed out, banking to some (and varying) extent is desirable.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I designed and built a power boat that was somewhere between a tri and a cathedral. I launched it as a hull and was disappointed when the hull didn't bank at all. After I added the cabin it banked but not as much as I would have liked. The higher CG caused a considerable amount of bank. In my younger years I've flown ultralights and rode motorcycles for decades and banking was good .. and natural (everybody seems to like that word these days). When banking eliminated all lateral forces while flying it was called a coordinated turn and anything else is considered unacceptable. Tom, is that what you mean by"centripedal" force .. when there is zero lateral force? In boats I'd say 25% of lateral force is about right. Cars don't bank and most people spend 98% of their time in vehicles in cars so it's natural that many boaters are a bit uncomfortable banking in boats or airplane. A lot of people seated by the window in an airplane in a high banked turn to the side their sitting on feel like they will fall out the window. That must really make people uncomfortable banking in a helicopter with a big gaping hole on the side. But for boats coordinated turns and flat turns are not good.

Easy Rider

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Do you just walk into people's houses too, Anthony?

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

One of the basic skills a pilot needs is using his feet simultaneously when moving the stick: without the proper amount of banking the aircraft slips and looses altitude. After a few flying hours most students do that instinctively, those who don't never get their license.

It is over 40 years ago since I last flew, but I still lean over in my car because it doesn't bank. For the same reason I hate being on a sailing boat....

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Banking in the turn keeps the dishes from sliding off the table."

And the weapons are easy to keep locked on target.

FF

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Yes Easy, a coordinated turn will have zero lateral force on the occupants. I was almost forcefully ejected from a flats boat once and don't want to repeat that. Also having to hold on to keep from falling inward in a high speed turn in a power dory was not too great either.

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Hi all,
    Sometimes balance and some (but not too much) moderation in life is good. And thanks to tom I learned a new word.

Easy

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Since you brought up cars, they don't bank but the road under them better or they become airborne losing all control.

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Actually at least one manufacturer (volvo?) played with a system that countered the forces and 'leaned' the car into a turn. I think Landrover may have something similar

13. hoytedow

Still, without the road banking the car will lose traction.

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

True, of course.
    Though one could always slow down....

15. hoytedow

The same applies to a boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.