masalai's model movie

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by masalai, Dec 15, 2007.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Great idea! :D :D

Attached Files:

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Thats last one isnt so much a Cat as it is a mobile bridge, looking for a river to span :)

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Who was wrong in the first pic? did FL 1892 MN or is it MH? get a ticket for illegal parking or obstructing traffic?

The middle one, is it equipped with a metal muncher behind that door?

I reckon the end one would just threaten to "sit down" would be enough to ensure submission & total surrender...

I guess I will have to be discreet and keep out of the road of these big boys:D

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Colregs clearly state an overtaking vessel must give way. It dosnt say anything about the stand on vessel being beached at the time it was overtaken.

K9

5. masalai

masalai masalai

I was only being "bloody cheeky" as water police here would have probably booked him for drunk driving after giving him a couple of stiff whiskies (at his expense) to "steady his nerves following the experience" on board (at the bar) of the big vessel:D :D - even if the other skipper was legless too??? - then had free passes for his family for a year:D:D

6. masalai

masalai masalai

This post has been moved from "Hull speed...." with apologies to piracy victims... I got all excited because things seemed to happen just right, and posted where I was... This was a midnight flit as I started at midnight local time:D The various forms are because of file compatibility issues in the hopes that some are useful and not a "bowl of noodles" and all messed up - I don't know why?

Would someone like to play with this? - displaces 3.637 tonnes, block coefficient 0.6032 (whatever that is?), prismatic coefficient 0.7572 (I donnow?), 12.0 m lwl, 0.7m wl beam, 0.7m draft -- all for one hull...

Can I get a "panic" max velocity of 20knots (?kw engine in each hull)
    At 15knots what sort of kw will the engine need to deliver
    At 10knots what sort of kw will the engine need to deliver

Most recent test on the model underwater profile is to be changed to this, and last test Sun 10 Feb gave 2.9knots on the gps at 11.5 amps from a 7.2v NI-MH battery and a severely cavitating screw... What about this counter-rotating thing and which way??? - top in and down?

files posted here are from version 2.85 of Freeship at FREEship-plus.land.ru

I would like the screw fully submerged and about 650mm dia., from a horizontal shaft. Otherwise feel free to re-do the stern for a fixed position surface drive screw. Rudders needed for autopilot (I hope - as I pray that revs should do for the occasional foray for fuel into a marina...)

Attached Files:

7. masalai

masalai masalai

a new bum for my model?

any comments? bridge deck is 1m above design waterline, LWL 10.804m, hull beam 0.601m, beam OA 6.9m, LOA 11.61m, draft 500mm and displacement to design wl just 4.01 tonnes... according to Freeship...

Drawn using FreeShip-Plus 2.9... running through "wine" on Linux mint...

Attached Files:

8. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Masalai,

I'm using version 2.6 and you're using later versions, so I cannot open your .fbm files. However, if you export your work in FEF format then post your exported .fef files here I can probably import them, or at least I can try ... :)

9. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Rick W.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Rick, seems I am getting there... Where "there" is, I have yet to determine...

Thanks Kenneth, will endeavour to post in that format...

Brian

Kenneth, I had a go at this fef format & Jeff has not enabled that form of file upload, would you like to receive it by direct email? PM that info if you like...

Brian

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Power Cat

I love the underwater hull treatment at and near the transom. My Dad and I built a 20' power cat in days gone by with the same shape. Worked real well....

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Have produced other "exports" try these...

Attached Files:

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Brian,

The lines look good. If you keep the weight evenly distributed, those hulls should be easily driven. I wouldn't be surprised at a nice compromise between speed when needed and economical moderate speed cruising.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks for the response Charlie, Does it readily show that it is a hard-chine underwater shape?
    - - - buggered if I can get the "development" right - anyone who would like to tweak same, or tell me how, is more than welcome...
    or, give me some instructions on outputting data to feed that info so the sheets can be cut? Or else tell me how to do it somehow? - - I would like to try to make part of the model myself - eventually... scale will be the usual tenth (linear)...
    Thanks all
    Brian

15. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Hello all and in specific Masalai,

I have been reading the posts with interest and have a simple, yet probably already mentioned question. Is this hull design capable of being scaled down to a say ~8 m version ? And what power would it need to go max 10 knots on inland waterways only ? Thanks....

BTW I might know an option to get some more efficiency and reduce weight, using manouvrable thruster tubes made from solid PU. You loose the rudders and increase efficiency.... http://www.poseidon-pde.nl/php/product.php?product_cat_id=9

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.