Manual Trim and Tilt Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saqa, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

You make a very constructive point here mate. I can place the pivot on the bottom and that might even allow using a push/pull control cable instead of the tie rod

I have a basic understanding of cams now thanks to someone on another forum. Will have to educate myself to able to apply them in design

I for one find remote trim and tilt handy, others might not but that is no reason to for me not to explore this. Some might scoff at various points and flaws of the initial thought and design process instead of a constructive implementation but that's just them. I can imagine plenty of boaters do actually use the feature if it is present

This stainless steel seems very strong. If it is not strong enough for a 25 then common sense says some stringers of the same material placed in strategic locations on the plate will help

Jacks may rust but why scoff, it comes out clear in the way its typed. If you have no interest in a successful implementation of this concept then are you reading this for personal entertainment? I am thinking of various ideas and ways to make a working design. You seem to be of the opinion that I am a valid target for your derision? The way I see it I am thinking while you are scoffing like a d@#$%

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Keep your hat on mate, there are reasons why engine manufacturers don't cater to hydraulic trim and tilt systems on smaller motors, and you have not made it clear why you need variable trim (adjustable on the move), it seems unnecessary on a small boat like yours, you could just as easily change the running attitude by moving things fore or aft, after first selecting a suitable pin position. If you are physically incapable of tilting up the small engine when required, I'd question your fitness to be using the boat.

3. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thats just more of the same typical garbage from you there. What better reason other then something I would like to have :/ Why the hell do I need to justify reasons for wanting one to you to float a concept other then something I find handy?

On my last boat which was 3.6m long. I always felt the lack of being able to change on the fly. Some days nose up made for a smoother ride, some days a flat attitude. Some loads was hard to get on the plane without pushing the nose down. So you in all your intelligence recommend fiddling with the existing manual system on the motor while the boat is underway once it has got on the plane to adjust the ride in that case? How about when I have a 150lb of prime eating fish in the locker under the bow? A couple of nice reef fish would do it. You would like me to move them out from the insulated bin to strap onto the rear deck in the sun? The trouble of changing pins for the drive back in every time is better then just making a simple unit that does it for you in your books?

I am 100kg, so is my fishing bud. Being able to adjust opens up for a more pleasant trip then @#$% around with the trim latches on the motor everytime i head out alone or with some one of different size. Also I dont know about you but I am prefiting things like tackle storage and such. There is nothing to move around. Its all tidy and empty floor

So there are my reasons for wanting it, now lets see if you only capable of scoffing from the sidelines or can take part in some constructive input!!

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'm not seeing the merit in it, you won't, imo, be able to change the settings on the move, it seems to me like a whole lot of bother creating something that has minimal practical application.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

OK, that is one vote against having remote trim on a smaller boat/motor setup. However the OP is not operating a democracy. Personally, I have seen many times when a remote tilt would have been great to have on a smaller boat, even more so than on a large one where a change in loading is less a factor in trim. The main reason remote tilt is not available on smaller motors is most likely cost. Its not necessary to change the trim while underway to make the idea attractive. Changing the tilt pin over the transom can be both difficult and risks losing the pin as well as possibly dangerous on a small boat.

When weighed against many of the far more hairbrained ideas floated here, this one seems pretty practical.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Honda offers remote tilt on small motors. See how they did it.

7. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Spoke to the mech today. He hasnt been able to find a disc yet that will cut the stainless, but still looking. Found a beefy set of stainless hinges in the local hardware that I will use to make the pivot

The general feeling is that with the pivot on the bottom either a tie rod or a control cable will do the job in forward gear. Reverse will see either one in compression and have to work out how much throttle can safely be used for the boat itself in reverse and if that much throttle overloads the rod/cable

An idea is to place a dog for reverse lock that will take the load instead of the rod/cable. We are going to make a mockup with ply to tune the basic shapes

Does anyone know what 25hp of thrust equates to in kilos of force? We think to test load bearing with static weights first to see if what we come up with can handle the output from the motor

Aim is to make an easily operable unit that is also beefy and under 10kg spread over all the components from the bracket to the control lever

8. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Cant check the Honda I am afraid. Dont have that engine here in Fiji. I do know that they once had a 20hp that I considered for my old boat in Sydney but didnt get as it was too heavy and less power compared to other 35 and 30s

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.