Making a lines plan from an existing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DavidJ, Aug 4, 2011.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A recording underwater camera sell for $250.00. All the measurments can be taken from the inside. I noticed that the original poster hasn't responded. Seems like the engineers are once more coming up with the most possible complicated method.

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Well, this stuff is really over my head, but I have three questions.

When you turn in the drawings how are the bureaucrats going to verify the drawings?

If there is an accident, do the authorities or insurance companies haul it out and double check the measurements?

Then what's the big deal?

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The big deal is that a lot of folks might drown....it happens!

In Canada larger commercial vessels are subject to Transport Canada underwater survey every two years. The hull had best bear some resemblance to the drawings. If there is an accident with loss of life there will for sure be an investigation by TC and/or any insurance company, sometimes there are investigations into minor incidents if there's an obvious problem. If the accident is stability related you bet the existing data is checked against the boat. The USCG recently changed their rules when 20 elderly folks drowned on a lake in New York State. The CG salvaged the sunken vessel and did new stability calculations.......

More importantly......The naval architect has a professional obligation to do his best to honestly evaluate the available data and establish whether the vessel meets existing standards. The traveling public put their safety in the hands of engineers all the time, naval architects are part of that....

1 person likes this.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think you make a good point. The NA has not only a legal obligation but a moral one, to do his best for anyone who might some day be on a boat he's involved with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.