Mahogany Utility Runabout

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mr Salt, Jul 1, 2015.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A good starter book is: The nature of Boats by Dave Gerr. Gerr also has a very useful book: the Propeller Handbook. Skenes, Elements Of Yacht Design is a good source of information as well. There are dozens of good reference books on the subject of boat design but these are good beginnings.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The problem with self education is you don't know if you're doing something fundamentally wrong. For example, what Cp should you target for a midship section and why would you select one over another. Why would you elect to use a specific amount of deadrise, where would this deadrise transition and why or maybe you'll debate the merits of some chine flats. How wide, should they taper, how much taper, where will this taper start, should they cant, how much, would you consider an anti-trip chine or does the shape of this particular hull from negate this need, etc., etc., etc. It's not that you can't learn the material, it's just that instruction is more than absorbing the data in a text.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, although I agree with everything you say, if you make the same questions of many who call themselves "designers" of boats, they would know not the answer. They would answer that would copy the neighbor's boat. Which, in other words, can be considered correct: they will get those parameters from data of similar boats.
    Nobody invents a new boat, we all start looking the neighbor's boat.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That is largely true, there are few quantum leaps in designs of anything, it is a case of tinkering at the edges mostly. But I don't think it a wise use of years of time studying to become proficient at designing a runabout for recreational use. Far better to buy plans to something that fits the general description and make whatever changes to the internal lay-out that are needed. You don't have to follow plans to the letter, especially if the changes don't affect the hydro-dynamics, or basic structural integrity. It is called "customizing", and you can run your ideas past the designer preferably, or any suitably experienced person..

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed you do mimic known, proven designs initially, but I'm speaking of the inevitable changes to the lines, a novice or budding designer might make, without some level of supervision.

I also agree in that styling changes are much more logical. Leave the hydro and engineering basically intact, but alter the gingerbread to suit what ever needs and desires might like. You end up with a well founded craft, with accommodations, looks and equipment as "your own".

My first design was nearly an exact copy of a common and popular boat, I couldn't afford to buy. I shaved a few inches here and there, put more sweep in the sheer, etc., but it was essentially just lipstick and mascara, on the other design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.