M boat and trihull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hamedhpt, Jul 22, 2010.

1. hamedhpt

hamedhpt HAmed

M boat or trihull??

Do you know what is the main difference between a trihull boat and a M boat?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am not familiar with M boats. Do you have any photos?

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

4. hamedhpt

hamedhpt HAmed

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It looks like a trihull with little keels

6. kalvens

kalvens Junior Member

what is the m boat?

7. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

8. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

9. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

My brother in law's boat shop in Alaska built this landing craft style boat under license from M-Ship. I haven't heard any negative feedback on it so far.

m-ship design.jpg

10. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

That's a nice looking craft. What did going with the 'dual-cathedral' M-hull bring to that project? I could see achieving higher speeds in calm water fully loaded....same as the hickman sled.

My beef is with the hype and claims surrounding the 'open water' M-hull variants; its been noted by many that you better have extra insurance on back, knees and kidneys...:)

11. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

The boat is 40 ft long and has (3) 300 hp outboards for a total of 900 hp. The design was modified to provide a ramp on the bow and the house was modified a bit as well. My brother in law is semi retired (his son runs the yard now) and was not on hand for sea trials but he said the boat did 30 knots in 5 ft seas and was reportedly comfortable. I do not know what the throttle settings were. The specs said it would do 30 knots with a 5 ton load but I don't know what sea state that is in. They can cruise in the 20-25 knot range on two engines. The owner uses the boat for hauling freight or his track-hoe around Kodiak Island and the surrounding islands. apparently he likes it very much.

I too would have concerns about rattling my fillings out on such a boat. My brother in law said he will try to get a ride on the boat in some weather and report back how it rides.

12. yodani

yodani Senior Member

Hi there Joe,

It is a small world... I was wondering where I can get some info about that boat and a way to contact the owner in order to get some fist hand data. Currently I am trying to put a project together for a tour boat based on that same hull and model see my posts at:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/je...weed-shallow-water-solution-needed-35675.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...-shallow-draft-oxymoron-35664.html#post423272

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/su...rive-propeller-protection-beaching-35967.html

Could you please ask your brother in law if he can put me in contact with the owner? I would also be interested on the complexity of the project and the way they managed to cooperate with M-ship. I have tried to contact M-ship but they where not so responsive. I wonder what they charge for that licence and model.

Please if you can get some more info about that boat I would be super happy... Thanks a lot in advance.

Daniel

13. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

I'll see what I can do.

14. yodani

yodani Senior Member

That was quick :)
    PM me if there is something private. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.