low-aspect foils and tacking

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rayaldridge, Jul 12, 2006.

1. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Am I correct is assuming that tacking a boat with low-aspect ratio foils (all else being equal) will be more certain than tacking a boat with high-aspect foils, due to the greater stall angles of the low-aspect foils?

I ask because I'm working on a small catamaran design in which high speed is not the primary goal. I assume the dominance of high-aspect foils in racing catamarans is due to their better lift-drag ratios, but in my case, I want a well-behaved boat. Is this a possible design trade-off?

One more clarification: I'm not talking about LAR keels as in some production multis. I'm talking about aspect ratios under two in conventional transom-hung rudders, and perhaps a more conventional high-aspect ratio daggerboard.

Ray

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.