Looking for small (tiny) boat designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by David Allen, Dec 18, 2010.

1. David Allen

David Allen New Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure I'm on the right forum, but ...
    I'm looking for a boat designer to basically scale up an existing sharpie design from 14' to about 20'. The size limit would be to make the most efficient use of plywood.
    The goal is simplicity of build and rig, shallow draft, offshore capability.
    The existing design is built on stringers. I want the new design to be primarily stitch and glue.
    The designer of the existing boat has no interest in scaling the boat, though many people have asked for it.
    Yes, I know most people would say that this is not just a scale-up, but a completely new design. Not being a designer, I can't say for sure, though I do remember once reading that the designer said this particular boat would be infinitely scalable (OK, not infinitely). The designer himself has drawn concept drawings of a larger boat whose hull shape seems to be identical or nearly identical.
    I also understand that if a boat is at least 15% different from an existing design, then it is legally a new design. Not sure if I'm right on this.
    (Sorry, but I don't intend for this to be a discussion about scaling a boat or the offshore capability of a sharpie. I'm just looking for someone interested in the project.)
    I will give more details in private email if I can find someone who is interested.
    I am open to new disigners and recent grads. Cost is a factor. I'm also (probably) interested in owning the rights to the plans.
    Thanks,
    David

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You may use anything you want for inspiration. If you create new shapes for hull and rig, it will be a new design. That much of an increase in size is going to require bigger scantlings (plywood thickness and framing sizes, so yet more changes making the boat new.) If you want to own the design, the price of the design will be more, just be prepared for that. If you want to produce more than one boat, then the designer should be paid a royalty on each boat built. I am not sure I will fit your budget, but if you would like to talk more, you may contact me through a private message and I'll give you my email address for further discussions.

Eric

3. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

There must be a hundred 20' sharpie designs to chose from that are ready to go .
    Bolgers long micro fits.
    "The goal is simplicity of build and rig, shallow draft, offshore capability."
    you couldn't do much better,IMO

4. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

New Design

If you want to scale up a boat from 14 to 20 foot and give it offshore capabilities at the same time this will be definetly a new design.

For offshore capability you need enough stability to prevent capsize and that means to have enough displacement to make a keel or inside ballast possible.

I have done a lot of research in this direction and currently a offshore sharpie on my drawing board. You can read about it starting here...

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/30-plywood-sharpie-30029-32.html

As my boat is a 26' design, I think its possible to draw a 22' or 23' version out of this concept. Have a look and send me a pm if you are interested to change opinions. I'am interested to see if it possile to develop your 14 footer into a 20 footer and want to here more about your criteria for the design.

Grreeetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

5. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

You could think of a scaled up "Paradox" with internal ballast and a drop board.
    It would not be that difficult to do a lug rig to keep COE low .
    [​IMG]

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Check out Ruell Parker's designs. He's got the plywood sharpie to an art form.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

As others have pointed out, we're knee-deep in designs for sharpies that size; people from Chapelle to Gardner to Parker have drawn very nice ones.

It would help if you posted some pic's or specifics about the original boat you're looking it. May I ask what it is about it that makes you interested in scaling it up, instead of using an existing design?

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm only 5'10"... so probably too tall... but I do know a guy who's only a shade over 5 feet... definitely tiny...;)

....sorry...couldn't help myself....

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have a number of sharpie designs, in the size range you're seem most interested in. Contact me by email (click on my name) and we can discuss your options.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

'Ya, I'm 6' 1", so I'm out as well...

-Tom

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Offhand I can't think of a single midget boat designer? Jay Benford's pretty short.....but I wouldn't call him tiny.........