Looking for an old Ventnor hydroplane or plans for one

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by banshee880@comc, Aug 26, 2006.

1. banshee880@comc

banshee880@comc Flying on the water

Hello all,

I've restored a 1959 Lauterbach hydroplane and would know like to find an old Ventnor hydroplane (real boat) to rebuild. Does anyone know of one that may be for sale?

Failing to find an old Ventnor hydroplane race boat, I'll build one. The 225 CI class is perfect for what I want. The 225 ventnor was about 18 foot long with sponsons located on each side of the bow. Most of the plans that are floating around are from the Arno Apel patent and not drawn to scale. As well, plans from scale models won't work because they have been redesigned for model boat speeds which are far faster than the real boats when calculated for scale size (~60 mph for a 48 inch hull).

Though not a complicated design it may be more difficult to design due to the addition of the sponsons on the bow. Any recommendations for software?

Thanks,
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

What on the high seas do use an old hydroplane for?

Very cool, is it valued like historic vintage race cars are? Is it raced like they do with old cars?

Awesome photo, have any more?

3. banshee880@comc

Hi Kach22i,
    Well they really can't be raced anymore because they are no longer competitive. However you can go round and round on an APBA vintage course at about 120 mph with the right boat. Not racing but tons of fun. The best part is meeting with the people that are in love with their boats and the hobby. For more information see the vintage hydroplane website. They will have tons of photos and you can get in touch with others in your area that may have boats.

Scott

Scott

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

5. banshee880@comc

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/
    Try the link listed above. I too lived in Michigan when I was younger. Jim Herrington race Miss Lapeer which as named after my home town of Lapeer, Michigan.

You are in the heart of hydroplane racing (there and in Seattle, Wa). There are plenty of old hydroplanes laying around in your area that could be fixed up and shown in on the vintage race circuit.

Scott

6. Tangusso

Tangusso Junior Member

Hi Scott;

The photo that accompanies your posting....where did it come from??

7. WildWolf

WildWolf New Member

Do you have any info on the existence of the U-9 Miss Lapeer? Formerly know as the Miss Spokane U-25 or the Eagle Electric U-25. I'am currently a volunteer on the replica of the Miss Spokane being built in CDA. ID. and I was wondering if the original hull is out there? Thanks

8. daddo2001

daddo2001 New Member

Miss Spokane

Wildwolf and Scott - Small world. So someone is recreating the Miss Spokane/Lapeer! Great. I had the same question about the original hull. A contact at the hydro museum over here in Seattle thought that Pancho Simonsen (son of Kent Simonson, the Spokane's crew chief) had brought her back to Spokane. I grew up over there and still have family...and I vaguely recall an article in the Spokesman...back in the 90s???...that said she was coming home. Don't know where to find Simonsen but I did see something on line about a guy buying a limited hull from him in the early-2000s. 'Bout all I know from here.

I grew up not only in Spokane, but weekends on Coeur d'Alene. Was on the boom for every race up to about '63...and was down in Reno for the fateful day in '61. Also, we had a very distinctive "bargelike" boat (long story) and were the only ones on the boom when Warner Gardner showed up for his first ride in the Notre Dame. He had to do a solo run (don't know if it was his rookie qualifier or not) in the early morning. We ended up having a "waving friendship" with him then and during the race. When the Spokane became the Lapeer...and he was her driver...what can I say. I understand that he loved that hull.

Would love to hear about any progress...both on the project and the old girl.

Bob

9. WildWolf

WildWolf New Member

Miss Spokane

Bob, Thanks for the response! Poncho still has the complete boat in his garage here in Spokane, in need of a new crankshaft , still a Rolls-Merlin. I met with Murrdo Cameron who is building the replica and he told me about Poncho and the condition of the original , not very good I'am sorry to say. nothing has been done to it since it was on display in Michigan and Murrdo has offered many times to rent,lease or buy it to make molds for his boat but ended up using the Hawii-Kah to make the molds as the owner is a freind of his, from the sound of it Pancho seems to be a "bench racer" and I doubt he will ever do anything with the boat. TOO BAD maybe someday someone will persuade him, but Murrdo has tons of money,time and dedication. That didn't change his mind at all. The replica is going to be AWESOME, carbon-fiber two piece design(top #1, bottom #2) with the engine cover and a couple trim pieces done in fiberglass. the top and bottom pieces will be done in a autoclave (like from the doctors office to stererlize) about 125 PSI and about200 degrees to cure the carbon-fiber. One roll of carbon-fiber= $10,000.00 dollars!!
    Here is a link to his site http://cameronaircraft.com/team51 /team51.htm
    If you write to him he has a DVD on everything he has done on the boat so far.
    PS, he also built and flys his own carbon-fiber replica of a P-51 Mustang!

Take care, Kevin ( WildWolf)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

If he's doing it in carbon fiber, it's not a "replica." It's a "Reproduction."

Sorry to be pedantic, but words matter. In any event, I wish I had information on the Ventnor's lines. I like your choice of the 225 class, they really got the proportions right with that. Beautiful boats.

11. WildWolf

WildWolf New Member

I'am sorry for my choice of "words" and the "hi-jacking" of the thread.:D

Thanks for the info!!!

WW

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009