looking to build boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Corey Murphy, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Corey Murphy

Corey Murphy New Member

me and a friend are looking into building a boat for the summer to cruse and fish... needs to be good for children and have some storage id imagine that u can customize storage but am looking for pointers on where to start. have been looking into plans would like to at least have 16-20' craft also wood build only

2. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Tolman skiff. Fast building and seaworthy! Check FishyFish.com for details. I think there are a few in your area to check out before you decide.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Look at Glen-L boat designs with outboard engines. found this one under house boats http://www.boatdesigns.com/20-Gypsy-trailerable-houseboat/products/168/ Any of the Pacific Dorys will work with a light weight cabin over and are very seaworthy and are real easy builds. Great 1st boat to build. http://www.boatdesigns.com/23-V-Dory-power-fishing-dory-with-vee-forward/products/372/ Some ideas Glen- l has for cabins that can be extended aft.http://www.boatdesigns.com/Dory-Cabin-Plans-five-cabin-plans/products/318/ Hope this helps you out. Smaller dory http://www.boatdesigns.com/16-Wee-Hunk-SG-power-dory-with-center-console/products/376/

4. Corey Murphy

Corey Murphy New Member

thank you for the point in the right direction i had been looking and previously talk to my friend about the type of craft to make and we both had leaned into the direction of a skiff just wanted more experience advice this looks and sound like the type of build id be looking for. my family grew up on the waters of cape cod all the way up to the coast and we havent had a boat since my grandfathers last boat 25' t jason mrs miss millie.jpg to back when his papa n father were fishermen to way back wen.jpg would love to keep the sea in our family's veins one reason why i love the cape and its beautiful waters

5. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Tolman's and Hartley's wouldn't be what I'd consider a fast build. These are basically traditional builds with some modern stuff tossed in, to keep them "fresh".

There are a lot of choices in this size range. I think you need to narrow your focus a bit, say with in a couple of feet in length, hull type, preferred power type, accommodation requirements, etc.

7. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Par, in what way is a Tolman a traditional build? Has mold less plywood construction with liquid joinery become so mainstream as to be called traditional nowadays? Or are you thinking of a different boat?

There is a post here today about a fellow who built a 27' version that he started in Jan '12 and launched in May '13. Not so long IMHO for a cabin boat that big. The OP here is looking to build a boat of about 1/2 the volume and complexity so it ought to go faster.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My bad about the Tolman , I was thinking of the Bartender, for some reason, possibly age related.

10. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Keep it simple for your first boat.

Once you have a boat in the water you can make your next one more difficult and have a garage project that won't matter if it takes longer to finish.

11. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Grey Ghost makes an excellent point. A first successful project becomes a foundation for future projects. Any failed project invites your "finance committee" to wield veto powers.

Get a successful simple project under your belt first, even the tender for your dream build.

12. tinpin4544

tinpin4544 Junior Member

summer boat

A 16' or longer jon boat with at least 48" beam will be able to carry a lot, will be stable for the kids, and can be made rather quickly and cheaply with either chine logs or stich and glue. It is not for rough water, but then, do you want kids on rough water early in your boating?