Lobster Boat / Downeaster Plans Wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Paul Dean, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Paul Dean

Paul Dean Junior Member

I seek lines drawings etc. for a typical 38 foot Lobster style boat hull with a soft chine, the likes of Wesmac, Wilbur, Duffy, Ellis, etc. Can anyone provide free plans for this boat modeler?
    Please contact me directly at deandesigns@*******
    Thank you.

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

The phrase "free plans" to this forum is like a red flag to bull. What's more, I question whether there is any style of lobster boat that is really typical.

However, Phillip Bolger has published lines for at least one true lobster boat and for several boats of related model in his books, and they may be available for free in your local library. I don't have them at hand, so I'm not sure which you want. Look for 30-Odd Boats and Different Boats.

For structure, see "Boatbuilding Downeast".

3. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

The boats I was thinking of are in 30-Odd Boats. Chapter 25 is a 32' inshore lobster boat. Chapter 24 is 38 foot boat of which Bolger writes "Apart from the top of the bow, the shape is much like a New England lobster boat of the later, beamier type."

Boatbuilding Down East is by Royal Lowell.

4. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Info and plans

If you go to: http://www.civilization.ca/hist/lifelines/linsb01e.html you'll find several "pages" with excellent photos on Nova Scotia fisheries boats. There's some really good stuff on development.

Here's a set of lines taken from a half hull model, ca. 1905, of a 37' Cape Islander boat by firm that did a lot of lobsterboat work.

Attached Files:

5. tarrysailor

tarrysailor Junior Member

Hey, that Cape Islander is a nice looking boat. At least, the fore half is. I wonder what would happen if you lengthened it a bit and made it symmetric, a double ender. It would look rather Viking. Why would anyone want a boat with so little freeboard in the back? And so shallow and flat? It take it there's some reason.

6. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Low freeboard aft makes it easy to haul the lobster traps in. The underwater shape aft should make for a "fast" boat - to get to the fishing (lobstering?) grounds - as well as a fairly stable work platform.

Ron

7. stijn.

stijn. New Member

I seek for plans & full size patterns of a downeast lobster boat 31ft.

8. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Contact Professional boatbuilding magazine, there is a good article with information about lobster boats, I don't remember the issue number, but I'm quite sure is very good and complete, they may be able to send you a copy.

9. stijn.

stijn. New Member

:( If I can get the hull plan & full size patterns of 29' or 31' is also ok. :?:

10. CGN

CGN Senior Member

ok....

11. stijn.

stijn. New Member

I seek for downeast lobsterboat plan& full size pattern 29'or 31'.
    You can e.mail direct to stein38@hotmail.com

12. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

Glen-L sells plans for a 33 lobster called Potluck.
    I myself am thinking of starting a potluck build.

13. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I have seen it also, just lost the copy. It was some 7 or 8 years back. Covers about 3 typical lines and the performance of the hulls. I remember the article was about making it go fast.

Back issues are available for a nominal fee.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.