Liveaboard, who had the smallest for a year?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thought it might be interesting to see who suffered the most (LOL) living on their boat for at least a year on the smallest boat. I'm sure we're talking minimalist!

What boat was it?

Was the design modified? How did you prep the boat?

Was it a dock queen or did you go out? :)

2. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

I lived aboard my 18' 6" Cape Dory Typhoon for a year. I sailed (and rowed/paddled ...no engine) it from the factory in Tiverton, RI to Fl and the Bahamas.

Underway I didn't consider it suffering at all; in anchorages the cockpit was the primary living space. It was less satisfactory in marinas, so I mostly avoided them. I sold it and bought a 27' Vega that I lived aboard for the following 10 years.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Both are classics!

Evidently the first poster is the winner of the smallest boat as a primary address.

I read about some guy who was living in a canoe under a bridge and officials couldn't run him off since he was on a moored vessel. Had he pitched his tent on land under that bridge he would have been hauled off. Obviously a situation out of necessity where wit prevailed over the "establishment".

Economics is not always the determining factor to select a small liveaboard, simplicity has many virtues, a smaller boat may provide more freedom than the responsibilities of a large yacht.

I think I'm getting too old to attempt to change lifestyles on a small boat, I should have done it early on when "things" weren't so important to accumulate and hold. A year is a long time too. :)

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Two Canadian friends of mine cruised for three years in a 14' Peephen. It was the smallest yacht to be admitted into the CCA. The boat was lost in a storm off Panama, but they were ashore. I also knew a family of seven who lived on a 21' Rhodes. Not small people, and only two small children. The adult children had been born and raised on the boat. I bought a Cal 28 off a family of six, who had upgraded to a Morgan 34.

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

That is incredible, 14 feet, a peephen!

7 living in 21', that's just 3' for each one! Guess the 2 kids were at the bow LOL.

And 6 on a 34 isn't really comforting either. I guess they take turns being on board somewhat.

Makes my canoe seem like a yacht! :)

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Then, there is another book by Serge Testa, 500 days Around the world on a 12 foot yacht.

Weren't some "Around in Ten" boats lost, were they all found or could someone still be bobbing out there for over a year living off fish?

To me, liveaboard is more to a person's choice of living on a boat for intrinsic values, perhaps to live more frugal, not as a requirement for an adventure cruise to prove a point or set some record. Seems like the motivation is different, but granted, they must have been living on or in the boat. :)

8. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

Wow, and I thought my 25 ft Folkboat was a small live aboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.