liveaboard flat hull design disadvantages

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by robint777, Sep 17, 2010.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A marina in an 80 ft anything will cost $3.00 to $6.00 a foot per night!

FF

2. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

During WW2 the ship to carry troops across the oceans was the LSM, it was flatbottomed, think it had a high cP and hardly any rocker. They were over 200' long with about 6-1 beam ratios, several hundred soldiers were packed in liked sardines. Pounding was not mentioned but sea sickness was very common.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

..I wonder how much of the sea sickness was due to the LSM,or the fact that it was populated by guys who had never been to sea.
    I'd bet many of them had never even seen the ocean before....

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

friend of mine's father landed on D day, not sure what beach but he wont watch war movies so it must have been bad

he did say once that pretty much everyone was retching there guts out buy the time they got there

seems like a box isn't the best choice for comfort at sea although inland or on protected waters it seems like the sharpie bottom is dam efficient and likely to be an excellent choice depending on design needs

speaking of which
    I was kinda really liking the bottom on that boat I just seem to have lost which was a sharpie type with a long deep keel

oh well

cheers
    B

5. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Most of the troops were never on a ship before, so there was and adjustment period. With a riding sail comfort would have greatly increased. The ships were also very high sided, something like 1.5x the beam so you can imagine the amount of rolling would be horrible.

Peace.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

They did cross oceans in it? I have my doubts.............

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

in ww2 they lived in fox holes, that doesn't mean foxholes are 5 star accommodations

lots of things were done then you wouldn't tolerate today

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well spinning the wheel on the time machine a bit and I have another buddy of mine that just got back from Iraq, says it really wasn't so bad except for the getting shot or blown up part

calls it camping out for men

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most troops went to Europe on carriers of some sort, which were often conversions, but intended for people transport. D Day is a different issue, as they packed them into all sorts of barely suitable ships.

The flat bottom had little to do with their discomfort. The confined spaces, lack of a steady fresh air supply, greasy food, heavy smoking by 50% of the men, high anxiety levels, inexperience with this type of motion, not being able to focus on a task, not being able to see the horizon and a few other issues all combined to make things quite difficult for them.

If you study flat bottom ship hull sections in beam seas, where you'd think motion would be worst, it's actually the best, when compared to all hull forms of mono hull sailboats and heavy deadrise on older power craft. In the pitching moment, the bottom type really doesn't come into play as much as other things, like displacement distribution, prismatic coefficient, weight in the ends, over hangs, etc.

Considering her role in WW II, I wouldn't introduce yourself with that proclamation, as most still remember many 10's of million had to offer up their lives to defeat it. How are you doing Stewart?

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Mostly they knew they have to go to fight, and they can die.
    That will gave sea sickness to any one.
    (Sorry if you read it before, my post went lost)

Daniel

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

But to get back to flat boat, I think it is feasible, with style.
    I admire the Mathis Trumpy, not for the sea quality, but for the uniqueness, the strange style, this amazing blend of a square huge superstructures and the very refine shallow draft hull. the details are puzzling, the windows in the hull sliding, the cove, all these details.
    I am puzzle by these vessel, I find them irresistible. Probably the highest moment in houseboat. I love them unconditionally. (before WWII I mean)
    Daniel

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok should I start a new thread or can I ask about the bottom on the boat I just got screwed on

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Fair enough.
    I suggest to sheathe the bottom with copper sheet.
    It is expensive but last for ever in the water.
    I have not in my head the thickness but doesn't need to be thick.
    several coat of coal tar and the bitumen felt, and the the copper sheet.
    As I said it is expensive, but last for a long time.
    Daniel

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Thing looked like it had a sharpie type bottom with a huge *** keel
    Seems like the best of both worlds for coasting

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You talk about shape, I answered about consctruction.
    Of course its a bottom shape thread.
    Sorry, I can be an *** sometime :D
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.