Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-12-2004, 09:32 AM

Rep: 15 Posts: 4
little project

This is the 63inch scale boat I have worked on for the last 2 years. Used Rhino3d for designing the hull. Used the unroll command to make the real thing.
As you can see the first 2 pics are the virtual boat and the last one is the real 63inch thing on my mini roof.
Attached Thumbnails
little project-1.jpg  little project-2.jpg  little project-gb89417.jpg  

Old 01-12-2004, 11:33 AM

Rep: 45 Posts: 253
Very nice Leander! Could you tell us more about the project? It would be interesting to hear how you accomplished the modelling part, and then how you translated that into the model - i.e. how you went about building the model. Is this model a prototype for a larger boat?

Andy
Old 01-13-2004, 01:59 AM

Rep: 15 Posts: 4
By using the unroll tool all surfaces of the model were flattened. Then it was all a matter of printing the flattened sections, bottom, side, deck, etc, to the size I wanted the boat to be , and cutting plywood on these patterns. Then it was all a matter of glueing the patterns together, and vuala there it is, a wooden plug exact as the model seen on the computer.
After this is done fiberglass is applied on the surface of the plug and the mold is made. Then fiberglass is applied on the surface of the mold and there it comes.
No the boat is not a replica. It took me a week to comlete the designe and do the neccesary modifications.

The black one is the wooden plug, whereas the other two is the boat
Attached Thumbnails
little project-10.jpg  little project-30.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 9
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by leander View Post
This is the 63inch scale boat I have worked on for the last 2 years. Used Rhino3d for designing the hull. Used the unroll command to make the real thing.
As you can see the first 2 pics are the virtual boat and the last one is the real 63inch thing on my mini roof.
hello

could you kindly contact me on alex_riolo@msn.com please or send me a private message as i need to talk to you regarding your project?
thanks
Alex
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Redneck YC Plank Owner

Rep: 10 Posts: 6
Very nice attention to detail! Can you tell us about the powerplant? CC? Drive? Ratio's etc? Youtube video yet?

Jerry
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 9
need to talk to you!

hi can you please contact me?
thanks
Alex

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Previous Member

Very nice little boat but I'd like to see more pictures of the old Mini!!

-Tom