Lion 800 new plywood yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Unik, Jul 22, 2016.

1. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

I think perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm suggesting that this bulkhead and ones like it...
    [​IMG]
    ... would be challenging to handle, erect and wrap hull panels around due to its flexibility. Clearly, this bulkhead hasn't yet been erected nor have hull panels been wrapped around it.

I understand that the cabin soles will provide stiffness to the finished boat - I'm suggesting that the flexibility of the bulkhead itself will create difficulty for the average kit builder.

We get around this issue by leaving the large waste piece in the center intact until after the boat is assembled. We leave many temporary appendages on our bulkheads to provide stiffness during assembly and to facilitate alignment with a cnc-cut jig. We also cnc-cut the hull longitudinal members with keys matching slots in the adjacent bulkheads (ideally those longitudinals are cut in one piece to assure that the bulkheads remain perfectly parallel)

I'm not suggesting that there are any issues with the boat design - it looks beautiful and strong. I'm suggesting that the design of the kit must enable the amateur builder to successfully achieve the design goals envisioned by the boat designer. (Design for manufacture)

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Unik, my opinion may be correct or not. That's not a problem. But I think your structure is wrong on several points (and that could be a problem). That is all. For my part I have given all the warnings thought I should give. If I'm wrong, nothing will happens to me.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. Unik

Unik Senior Member

The idea is good, it works fine on smaller boats, but in this case not very effective. Assembled frames have enough rigidity, and after the installation of a wooden supporting straps for mounting the internal rigging has assumed an even greater rigidity, and do not need additional reinforcement. Besides, if we leave the jumpers to increase stiffness is to increase the value of kit set due to inefficient use of material.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Unik - you need to start putting your construction photos on different pages of the web site - its taking ages to download the single page

6. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Today, you can draw some preliminary conclusions of the work, collected almost 80% of the parts supplied in the whale, the remaining elements of the shell plating and deck.
    All parts supplied in kit set stood in his place, great 3D puzzle LION 800 has developed into one rugged design.

To date, the assembly boat took 20 days

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-800-construction/

[​IMG]

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing the hull 'skins' go on.

Questions:
    1) Do you fibreglass the insides of the hull plates before applying -( it doesnt look like you could do it easily afterwards.)

2) Will there be access to under the floor when constructed ?

Looking good so far

8. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Hi Ray

The body is completely covered with fiberglass only outside, inside the enclosure only the frames are glued to the outer skin of fiberglass tape.

I have provided easy access to any area of the hull from inside the yacht, it is necessary to raise the bottom ceiling, or simply open the cabinet or locker.

9. Unik

Unik Senior Member

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Shame about the weather problems. Looking forward to seeing the hull sides go on.

11. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Boat building continues, but winter and low temperature make their adjustments, but I hope the boat next summer will be its maiden voyage. Soon I will publish a report on the continuation of the construction of Lion 800.

12. Unik

Unik Senior Member

I receive a lot of requests for Kit set Lion 800 from Europe, America and Australia, but the logistics greatly increases the cost, so I was ready to cooperate with companies who are cutting on the CNC and ready to set up production Kit Lion 800.

13. Unik

Unik Senior Member

A small announcement of new boats in a series of Lion, Lion 550 adrenaline, light boat, trayler envelope can significantly expand the geography of travel and take the owners a lot of positive emotions and adrenaline. Composite boat construction of waterproof plywood covered with glass.
    In this boat we decided to go a little further to use puzzles in design, now not only individual parts will meet in puzzle, but also all the details in the design of boats will be about 60 pieces will be assembled in a great 3D puzzle that will significantly reduce the time built yachts.

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-550-adrenaline-2/

[​IMG]

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"go a little further to use puzzles in design"

It would be interesting to see some examples of how this is done. I notice the "stringers" are shaped plywood in this example - is that part of it ?

15. Unik

Unik Senior Member

In this boat I will try to make maximum use of plywood in all parts including the stringers. When it will be completely created by the construction of the hull, I will publish some part.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.