Lines Plan from Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by KRL, Oct 18, 2010.

1. KRL

KRL Junior Member

What is the easiest, cheapest and fasted method to obtain a lines plan from a 12 metre hull? Has anyone had some experience with this?

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

the quickest is a scanner, the cheapest may be to measure it with, laser, level, tape measure,patterns which is how i measured my avatar Lulworth

3. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

1.Draw lines plan in autocad from the offset table of the hull. if you want have any offset table, do the peter method. :)

4. yipster

yipster designer

good advice, with a camera and software you can transfer to 3d cad meshes
    when you want a dozen a week it may be easiest, cheapest and fasted
    i've seen ships and cars done very accurate, here a free blender sample

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If using a camera, you have to compensate for lens distortion, which isn't as easy as it might seem. Even a digital camera sees the world through a lens, before the image is converted to a digital format.

6. yipster

yipster designer

thrue and i havent try'd this out but way back Stepan Ditmore had allready some links to more expensive cameras
    and software that not only crearted a mesh but even calculated displacement of a ship and such things

i've seen it proffesionaly used on cars and thought i be wise never to draw a car
    ( or anything else existing ) in 3d again, really astonishing results that can kill a cad artists

yes camera lenses give distortion yet when you walk or fly all around the object taking multiple pics
    the free blender vodoo plugin takes averages from various angles

not less exact or elaboures most common gettin lines from hull method method attached

Attached Files:

7. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

We have large hulls and molds so we use a laser scanning service when we need it. Very expensive though.

For smaller projects we use Rhinophoto, a photogrammetry plug in for Rhino. It is significantly cheaper (around $1,000, or 1/3 that for students). You must have Rhino though. It works quite well. You need a good digital camera (SLR preferred) which is calibrated using the program. We were skeptical at first but have found the program to be worth the money. There is even a hull digitizing video on their home page.

The least expensive, but most labor intensive method is to do it manually by laying out a grid on the floor beneath the boat and on the boat itself and taking offsets by tape measure, etc as Peter said.

1 person likes this.
  8. yipster

yipster designer

you must have felt this comming did you not ? :D

1 person likes this.
  9. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Depends on how precise of a match you want. With the hassles of manually tracing & costs of scanning, some good photos of the boat (profile, top, bow, stern) will work fine using yipster's suggestion. If you can mark the stations on the hull with a black grease pencil, this will help when refining the curves to match existing stations as closely as possible. Using this approach I can replicate an existing hull very closely using DelftShip/FreeShip.

10. KRL

KRL Junior Member

Well i must say thanks for the various methods mensioned!! Very helpful

11. ACuttle

ACuttle Marine Design Engineer

I used to work for a company that did hull laser-scans.

There's some more information on their work here:
    http://www.djaweb.co.uk/index.php/process/marine-design/vessel-survey

It can seem an expensive way to go but can be very accurate and gives you a point cloud/surface to go back to should you want further information on an area. Depending on how you want things it might be cost effective as you'll be getting lines straight into the computer and with less margin for human error.

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Why you want to that?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.