light air designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Don, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Guest, Don

Guest, Don Guest

I have been looking at sailing catamaran plans. I was wondering if there are problems(dangers) with a boat designed mainly for light air. Thanks for any help.

Don

2. Guest, Kevin

Guest, Kevin Guest

I've been threre, done that! A boat designed for light air has a relatively large sail area and will be dangerously over powered in heavy weather, unless sails can be reefed or removed. I imagine you're talking about a day sailer. Other considerations such as reserve buoyancy at the bows strength of members may also be less than required for heavy weather. I've sailed off shore with a day sailer, the wind picked up covering the sea with 'white horses' and spray. The sail back to the beach was a blur of activity. I had constant spray over the boat from the bow and even with all our weight on the stern expected to capsize any moment. It was very exciting but also dangerous.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.