lifeline height

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dreamer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. setmarin

setmarin Tirhandil

Dear All,
    As far as know there is a "European and international" standart for the life line hight.
    "EN ISO 15085" "Small craft_man-overboard prevention and recovery"
    According to this standart, for A class crafts (unlimited ocean voyages), the hight is 600 mm, that is 24" and it should withstand 1500 N (Which is something like 150 kg or 300 lb)
    Regards

2. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

I know this doesn't really apply to your design Rick, but FWIW the lifeline/bulwark heights on our (admittedly large) boats is dictated by the classification society. ABS requires 36", Lloyds and others require 1 meter.

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

wow. 'minimum height of 24". Are Europeans shorter? :blink:

I've since been informed that many designers use 28" and that will work fine.

For the powerboat I'm working on, I went with 36". For some reason, on powerboats I picture people just sort of standing around doing nothing and 36" is a good lean-and-elbow height.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.