Learning scantling part 1: general arrangement. Naval Architects please help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by magwas, Dec 26, 2009.

1. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I told you that I believe that naval architects actually benefit from sharing their knowledge. I haven't told that they have any obligation. I do not ask you to understand the reasoning behind it, I do understand that one can't change a mindset which one is accustomed to through long years, even if the reasons to change it are very clear.
    I found hiding information very counterproductive, but I can live with.

However I think that urging others to hide information is hideous, so please stop messing up my threads, please.

The following might seem shocking at first reading, but unfortunately it is easily provable (by citing only two cases of information hiding):
    Hiding information is responsible for an enormous amount of unnecessary work, and the unnecessary suffering and death of millions of people every year.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

You are well above your abilities and you are out for a free ride! Nobody here is able and willing to teach a complete novice!

You have been given the chance to ask serious questions and it was also factored in that you may well not be a native English speaker.

But you turned barefaced when you felt resistance.

The real professionals here know each other (at least most of them), and though their level of patience is different, their knowledge of what a novice can manage and what not, is equal.

Your approach is wrong, for this time you have goofed it.

Regards
    Richard

3. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

lol, and here I thought you designers were going to read this stack of books for me, submit papers on my behalf & send me my certificate in the mail. Oh yeah, and furnish me with a portfolio the size of BR. What a gip! Guess I'll actually have to do the work myself, right? Say, where's the button on my Rhino that draws the lines for me? ;) :D

4. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

exactly

I think most folks here, even the professionals, have gained knowledge from others on this site. Possibly even answers to the same questions you've had, Magwas. I can say personally that I have gained a great deal of knowledge from those here. A lot of it has just been from using the Search feature of this site. In the instances where I've had to ask a question, it was with respect and sencerity of appreciation for what the pros have gone through to get where they are.

Yes, most professionals are willing to help. But no one will be willing to help when

• the person requesting the help does not demonstrate the aptitude for the subject.
    • the person requesting the help does not recognize or understand their position as a learner
    • the person requesting the help demonstrates a sense of entitlement

It could be a cultural thing. I used to work with a certain nationality where the only way to do business was to take a confrontational stance. I had a tough time with this while some of my colleagues reveled in it. Try to consider your audience, Magwas, and take a slice of humble pie.

1 person likes this.
  5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For $9.95 plus S&H I can print a certificate of PHD in Naval Bumbling. Other titles are also available upon request.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

How much is "Heart surgery for the advanced boater" ???

Is it real parchment?

7. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

4 pages ,and not one of you has taught this man how to design a boat .
    I thought this was an open forum a place to exchange info and ideas .
    Maybe I was wrong .

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah, life is the hardest one...............
    [​IMG]

and sometimes we are real ********.

9. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Hi Richard

10. magwas

magwas Senior Member

Have you even read what I have written?
    You are completely misinterpreting me.
    Here are some drawings so you can have some real reason to say negative things.

Attached Files:

11. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

You mean this part where you basically TELL the experienced members they need to help you:

And this part where you already assume the 'Ladies and Gentlemen' are falling all over themselves you to help you and your dream of becoming a yacht designer:

Poeple have read what you have written. That is why you are not getting anywhere with this thread. I'd suggest you move on.

12. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

OK, now for some real help. Your drawings indicate a lack of insight into general design - shape, balance, arrangements, etc. awarness. I think the first thing you must do before coming for advice is to develop your awarness of other designs, from all three views. Then start sketching up some designs that look like what you have seen, with things in proportion. Then figure out just what you want your first boat to do, for who, where, etc. and find a few designs as reference, and sketch up the most realistic drawings you can. Then come back with these neatly drawn, maybe even created with some design software (which you will have to learn) and show those to the audience here and ask for advice on how to improve the design, or even fix it where its really wrong. That will probably be much more acceptable to this audience.

Everything I suggest you do can be done for free - there are drawings to be found on the internet everywhere, and in this forum (see the gallery), and there is free softwae, for example delftship... I think when you have made that honest effort to help yourself first, then you will get fair and honest advice from many here (oh, and some criticism about your design, and I expect, less about you ;-)

Here is another good source of (free) information.
    http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html#top

Enjoy,

Grant

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Magwas,
    Grant Nelson gives good advice. Go to your local library and sit down with some books about boat design. This will cost you nothing but time. Learn about fasteners, glue, boat hardware, boat history, especially how and why boat hulls have changed shape over time. Learn how the wind fills a sail. When you have done these things you will be on the path of enlightenment. By doing this you will also take pride in your newly gained knowledge. You will be able to help those less knowledgable and earn respect from those more knowledgable. Seeing your generosity will inspire others to be generous to you. Everyone makes mistakes and that is also part of the learning process.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Grasshopper must learn rub feet before hop . . .

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good wife rubs grasshopper feet for him...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.