Launch of largest sailing yacht ever built

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Remmlinger, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

You people do realize that Washington DC is a circus of ineptitude and nitwitery, right? That should probably be taken into account when discussing conspiracy theories that don't rely on its ineptitude and nitwitery (you know, the secret society type stuff).

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Boat design - not politics.

Actually I am interested in the non-American viewpoint, partially because I agree with the fact of US aggression, but mostly because there is very little access to moderate opposition opinions from other companies, here.

Having lived abroad I am a bit aware that there are two sides to the discussion.
    Having had a SAfrican family as friends I got a short but specific understanding of the effect of American sanctions.
    Typically I would not have had access to such opinions without living abroad.

But this is suppose to be about ugly boats.

OBTW, if it was pirates shouldn't there be gun ports of deck cannon?

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

There does seem to be a bit of rationality about this design.

It appears to be a motor sailor and not a pure sailboat by the size of the rig. The upward sloping profile may be a design device to get it to heave too better in a storm.

The bird beak like things on top of the masts seem to intended to reduce vortices at the top of the mast, as they seem to be free to rotate.

The tumble home of its sides may be intended to reduce windage in a cross wind.

We must keep in mind that this yacht will make its home in a very cold part of the world, so that could also explain the lack of promenade decks.

Any one able to find the design statistics of this ship?

My guess is that it's about 25 m wide and has a displacement of around 5,000 tons.

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Agree. So we don't need to post propaganda stamps as well...

In case with this boat, there is no sailing culture behind. Not the oligarch can buy it for all his money, not the designer can acquire it from his sanitary porcelain expertise.

5. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think I goofed one one of my calculations.

It turns out that if this vessel has 80m hoists and 40m Booms its total SA would be in the neighborhood of 4800 sm.

If this vessel displaces around 5,000 mt, it would have an SD of 16, which would make it more of a pure sailboat.

6. Oleboynow

Oleboynow Previous Member

That is a THING, not as yacht
    here is a yacht, Carita by Robert Clark
    when on the wind there was a system of worm drive the length of the ship, to close the port which buried
    Ah this thing of beauty, was born the bird Swan, she did never Morph from Ugly duckling

http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=fleurtje-2305
    her original Mains were a handed pair of 500 shp Paxmens

Attached Files:

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

thanks for the link, that is one of the nicest yachts I have ever seen.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

11. W9GFO

W9GFO Senior Member

Somebody made the comment about no promenade. My first thought is that it has a heck of a lot more outside deck space than any boat I've been on - save for carriers or cruise ships.

I do think it's ugly, but it's growing on me.

The underwater viewing via a glass keel is quite the extravagance, I've always wanted a boat with windows below the waterline.

12. Zilver

Zilver Junior Member

13. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Whilst looking through the images that Manie B linked to earlier I kinda go the impression that her framework, bulkheads to be specific, was just visible through the skin.

She's too young for it to be panting ... one would hope ... so could this be using too thin a hull plate, construction error or just bad fairing on a boat this expensive?

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

15. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

I wonder how much heat the base of that damaged mast receives from the exhaust outlet directly in front of it? Enough to damage and weaken the composite?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.