Launch of largest sailing yacht ever built

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Remmlinger, Sep 21, 2015.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

2 of 6 is a fairly unfortunate image given the claim the designer is famous for a toilet.

The composition of the pictures I'm guessing telephoto lenses do not love this boat. She needs a wide angle lens to make the most of those lines.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A somewhat different opinion. Telephoto lenses accentuate the awkward surfaces of the boat. The surfacing (independent of the styling) looks to me like a hurriedly executed project by a design student who got in a bind trying to combine various styling elements and didn't have the time or ability to sort it out into a harmonious whole.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Sounds extreme.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Pity they didn't build a 500 ft tri. Imagine the speed. The amas could be fitted out as accomodation too.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

What were Mirabella's issues?

Peter, what do you mean magma structures?

7. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Fear of accidental jibe with that huge boom was a biggie. IIRC it was said that they have to buy special insurance just to sail her on a given day and forget about tacking.

Here we have a boat with three huge booms when the great schooners of yesteryear of her length would have had six or seven masts. Yes, they've got lots of new tools and automation to manage all that extra weight of the big sails. Mirabella V has that too though.

But maybe these are just small enough not to scare the willies out of insurers?

Or maybe Russian insurance companies are braver?

Make for interesting reading. Will they call the book "Mine's Even Bigger"?

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

... and some plonker would immediately say it should have foils...... :p

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

looks like one of the cruise ships with sails
    nothing new that I can see?

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It should be called Conspicuous Consumption.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

About the most hideous thing afloat and certainly shows the designer's previous work.

12. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The styling in profile reminds me of an electric iron, all she needs is a handle & a puff of steam;)
    A fabulous effort in construction though & will be good to find out how she may sail.

Jeff

1 person likes this.
  13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have those voices too :p

He's going to come comment that we're a bunch of ar se holes.

Maybe it does !

On a mono that size it's going to take you a long time (to walk) to get to the head.... er... toilet in this case. What happens when you're near the stern when it gets urgent and you have to get all 140 meters to the head ? I'm not so sure about walking on the walls of those hallways. You have to skip over the doors because what happens if someone opens a door from below... ? ! Surely they cannot open into the hallway, in which case the leeward doors will remain down (unless someone opens it) but you will have to duck under all them open doors on the windward side. Maybe it's a compromise and it doesn't have doors ;)

Maybe it does have toilets, which can be anywhere/everywhere. We all know where a head is.

Something I always wanted to know but never had the guts to ask is how the hell do one actually use the head in a mono-hull when it's underway. In a small sailor you can stop for the occasion, but a thing that size is never going to actually sail unless the formalities gets scheduled... Or it's going to be very messy, and that is why I think a mono-hull is a sh3tty idea. That is unless the toilet works like these self righting kiddies mugs. Maybe you suck yourself down in place on that thing so you won't fall off.... I bet you don't breath in, it may break the seal ! Jeezzz that IS a complicated boat.

Attached Files:

14. abosely

abosely Senior Member

It really is a most unattractive boat.

Cheers, Allen

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

People splurging billions on luxury is deeply unattractive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.