larger Row/sail boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wayne nicol, Nov 11, 2014.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think I can find arguments on either side of this that are valid.

Unlike more traditional designs, which have low sides that can easily roll under, while under sail. The 'Birdwatcher' has high sides, which provide a lot of windage. Rowing one in a strong wind would be no picnic. But the other designs shown seem easy to swamp and/or capsize.

Adding ballast, to prevent the latter, simply adds more weight to be pushed around by the oars.

Even though 'Birdwatcher' is not self righting, I'd definitely call it 'self rescuing', meaning it can be righted, by its crew, without the crew leaving the boat. Such ability could be enhanced with secure stowage of heavy gear and stores, held close to the bottom of the boat.

I've often thought of a row/sail boat of cruising size. It would have a similar bottom to my LOLA design (see attachment), but somewhat lower sides. It would be maybe a foot narrower and proportionately shallower. (about 15 inch draft and 1800 lbs) But it would have the same long bilge keels. The short rig it would carry would be good for rowing while sailing, in light air, and quite handy once the wind rises.

It would have a fore cabin and an aft cabin, with a four foot long rowing station in between.

Truth be told, just about anything anyone can come up with is going to be grossly underpowered by a 1/4 hp oarsman, so will really be a sailboat with oars for auxiliary power.

This, BTW, is an ancient dream, dating back to at least King Henry VIII.

The solution then, as it is now, is long, lean, low and light.

Attached Files:

3. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

4. johnhazel

johnhazel Senior Member

Pacific proa style? The rowing could be done from the main hull with one oar operating between the two hulls.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.