Kotaro Horiuchi book on boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guru, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this message; if not, kindly direct me to the right forum to post it to.

Since the last couple of years, I have been translating during my spare time, Mr. Horiuchi's book in Japanese, "Locus 1" (I'm sure you are aware that Locus 2 has already been published). I have finished about 6 chapters out of 22 in the book. The translated chapters have been read and approved by Mr. Horiuchi. I will release a chapter or two after obtaining his permission to all those who are interested in a preview of a chapter.

Mr. Horiuchi has retired and is leading a quiet life; I discuss the nuts and bolts of the chapters with him from time to time as I proceed with the translation.

Each chapter in this book contains sketches, photos, design data, test results and so on, on the design of the following:
    Sailboat, Hydrofoil, Eight, Airboat for water and snow, Sled, Underwater sightseeing boat, Airboat for rescue, Airboat for swamps, Catamaran, Hi-Flex planing boat, Deep-V planing boat, Row boat, Sleds for leisure, Snow bike, Wasen (Japanese fishing boat), Seaweed harvesting boat, Power boat, High speed rescue boat, Paddle wheel climber, FRP Scull, Motor sailer, Lines and Surfaces.

I am wondering if I can take the liberty of:
    1) Conducting a survey in this forum or other forums to have a rough idea of the number of persons who would be interested in purchasing the translated version of this book
    2) Asking for suggestions/recommendations/advice for funding the translation project (translation -- layout -- publication -- distribution)

Any suggestions/advice/recommendations/brickbats :) gratefully accepted. I will try to monitor these forums, but please send a Cc: to honyakusha@gmail.com as well.

Regards,
    Guru
    honyakusha@gmail.com
    Ex-Naval Architect/Technical Translator

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Sounds cool.

Q: what is a paddle wheel climber or should there be a comma somewhere in there?

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

sounds like an interesting book to study. I would be interested in reading the chapter, if not the whole book. It is not likely a book like this would sell a lot of copies, so be aware that your efforts may not results in much finacial pay back, but done for the sake of preserving some aspect of boat design.

As for funding you might go to a crowd funding site and offer advanced sale of the book for "investors". one of the largest for international projects is Indigogo (not sure of spelling). setting up a funding page is free, you pay a hefty fee to the website after you reach your funding goal.

good luck with the project.

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You can try Prof Umeda at Osaka Uni or Prof Ikeda at Osaka Prefecture Uni for possible funding/translation services. I have proof read several papers by Prof Umeda in the past.

As for who would buy it..is another matter...could be a few could be thousands. All unknown.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I am always interested in books or other material on designs, particularly those that speak about or offer different views. Not interested in a coffee table tome though.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I have Mr. Horiuchi's book "Locus of a Boat Designer 2" and thoroughly enjoy it. I'd be interested in the new book at some point. What a great and innovative man!

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I would be interested in such a book, sufficiently so that I might buy it if the price was within reasonable bounds.

8. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

if all else fails I'd look into publishing through Create Space.

Cheers,

Earl

9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

If you have done most of the work already you could publish as an E-book for no upfront capital. I think there are limited run options that crowd-funding would fit well. That way you pre-sell and take no inventory risk.

10. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Put me down for a copy. I have Locus 2 and would like to have Locus 1.

I am also interested in whatever technical information he would like to provide with respect to his designs.

11. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

A book review of Locus 2 on Amazon
    Locus 2 is also available from AbeBooks.com for $23

12. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

HYDROFOIL -- The Amazing Boats of Kotaro Horiuchi. Video posted by Ray Vellinga

Sport hydrofoil flies at 40mph; handles 18" waves; banks at 45° pulling 1.4g.

13. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

Based on this thread I bought Locus 2 and would certainly like a copy of Locus 1 if it were to become available.

14. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Let me quote here from abstract of a technical report (the English was a bit off, so I modified it a bit):

"When a long rope, of which the one end is fixed upstream, is adrift freely in the flow, and the other end is rounded several turns to the hoist of paddle wheel axis of a boat, then the boat can go upstream by virtue of water power. The boat is called a the paddle wheel climber."

The report is here:
    EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS OF THE WATER POWERED BOATS—ON THE WATER POWERED FERRYBOAT AND THE PADDLE WHEEL CLIMBER, Pages 583-588, M. Mori, J. Kawakita, K. Horiuchi, K. Ogawa

Cheers,
    Guru

15. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Thanks, Petros. The site seems to be https://www.indiegogo.com/
    I'll study it when I find some time.

Cheers,
    Guru